How to mod CMSF ?

I saw a lot of interesting mods to transform CMSF form Syria to Balkans .

I'd like to try modify the graphics of some units , but i can't find some posts that could explain how to do .

Could someone give me the links to the post that show me how to mod the units ( and grounds why not ? )

Is the a post talking about that ?

Thanks a lot everybody and long life to CMSF ( and TOW ) ...

If you've installed 1.06 you'll see a folder in the main combat mission directory called ModTools, in there is a read me file which explains it all.

[if you're running Vista the rezexplode and rezpack are hidden away in your virtual store folder -Users/username/appdata/local/virtualstore/programfiles/cmsf/]

run rezexplode and it'll make a series of directories in the rezexplode folder full of things.

under the bmp/textures folder you'll find images which you can edit and save into a new folder in the main game/data folder. Follow the naming conventions of the files and make sure the new folder you make is the highest alphabetically in the data folder i.e call it Z.

Then search for Mod on the forum and you'll find heaps of advice on sequential numbering of things like buildings and uniforms and stuff.

Just play around with your own ideas till you get something you like.

Someone also gave a sage piece of advice when retexturing stuff is to build a grid map over the texture then take screenshots so you can see which bits of texture correspond to the model, that really helps.

Good luck and hope you have fun.

Here are the programs I use to make a skin retexture

1.RezPack, RezExplode and instructions how yo use them that come with CMSF

2. Photoshop 5.5

3. Sometimes to work with Alpha channels that Photoshop can't do I use program called GIMP

4.Collection of high-res photos of the object you want to mod (ex. tank wheels)

Hey TC, I'm curious what you said about photoshop not working with Alpha's and GIMP can coz a bit back we were talking about Alpha's on windows bmp files and someone wasn't able to edit Alpha channels with GIMP. Tho I've never had a problem with Photoshop. Do you mean you can't see the channel in Photoshop or can't edit/save it with the .bmp?

Apparently .BMP files with an organic Alpha channel are quite new, and according to a quick blurb in Wikipedia...

it has yet to gain wide support in image editing software, but has been supported in Adobe Photoshop since version 7 and Adobe Flash since version MX 2004 (then known as Macromedia Flash).
I've searched far and wide for editors other than PS7 and GIMP to support .BMP Alpha, and so far haven't found any ... even Corel's new PaintShopPro doesn't know what to do with those bitmaps.

...geez, thanks for making it easy for the Modders, Battlefront... as if a good'old .TGA wasn't sufficient tongue.gif

[ February 26, 2008, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: The Louch ]

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by missinginreality:

If you've installed 1.06 you'll see a folder in the main combat mission directory called ModTools, in there is a read me file which explains it all.

[if you're running Vista the rezexplode and rezpack are hidden away in your virtual store folder -Users/username/appdata/local/virtualstore/programfiles/cmsf/]

run rezexplode and it'll make a series of directories in the rezexplode folder full of things.

Well I have Vista and found the rezexplode folder within the Modtools folder. I created an input folder within the rezexplode folder and dropped in version 1.06brz but after clicking rezexplode nothing seems to happen even after a few minutes of waiting as suggested by the readme. I can't find an exploded folder anywhere. Any ideas?