Water mod idea

Item number one on my wish list of map features would be the ability to place water tiles. Presently, when I place rivers or lakes on CMSF maps I draw a ring of "marsh" around the borders of the water (to make it impassable) and then use a flat ground texture, usually "dirt lot" (not "dirt") to represent the water itself. I use "dirt lot" because its flat texture looks a bit more like standing water than "marsh," which has prominent plants sticking up out of it. Although "dirt lot" is, of course, traversable by units, the presence of a ring of "marsh" around the tiles posing as water prevents units from reaching it.

If someone would be so kind as to create a "dirt lot" Mod that can pass for water, it would give us access to aesthetically pleasing water tiles. I would do so myself, but I lack the necessary skills.

Thanks folks, have tried uploading to cmmods but can't get the zip to upload for some reason. If I PM it to someone can they try for me please?

Cheers

PS The only down side to this tile is that units can still cross it if it's based on anything but marsh. However the great workaround suggested with marsh tiles around the edge will sort that out.

Shells would leave a crater in the "water." Similarly, the shell hit would look like flying dirt rather than a nice watery splash. Those are probably two among several technical hurdles that led the Battlefront team to leave off providing proper water tiles.

That said, water obstacles are a very important feature in many battlefields (even in our hypothetical Syrian war) and so even an imperfect water tile option is far better than none.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this one. Nice work. Greatly enhances immersion for maps. smile.gif

A little observation:

on big maps, the mud was still diplayed brown at greater distances. I notice that there needs to be an additional "mini ground mud.bmp" file (size 16x16) to show the water at distance as well. Perhaps you could add this small bmp to your file on CMMODS?