Marine Corps: Get Some!

GasMask

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by GasMask:

I looked at the picture and I noticed what seems to be the 2nd Mar Div emblem. So... what's all that about, and how do you know he was in combat as a Marine? Is there a web site that goes with it for story purposes?

That's the combat patch, for the army. You wear your unit patch on your left shoulder, and the patch of the unit you first saw combat with on your right. So this guy is a soldier who first saw combat with the Marine Corps.

Intresting. It took a while for my dad to understand that Marines don't wear patches. I never really talked to him much about how the army does their's, I just know he's got a lot of them.

I wander why he decided to go from Marine Infantry to Army Infantry. Stranger.

Intresting. It took a while for my dad to understand that Marines don't wear patches. I never really talked to him much about how the army does their's, I just know he's got a lot of them.

I wander why he decided to go from Marine Infantry to Army Infantry. Stranger.

With the short barrelled SAW he is either SpecOps or airborne.

Originally posted by civdiv:

Why the heck would the Army issue them to a Mechanized unit? I mean, it's a 'Paratrooper' model. I can see needing the smaller footprint to help getting out the door, I can see SpecOps needing it because of the lighter weight, by why would a heavy Army unit want to get rid of the range?

Oh shoot, never mind. Same reason they went to the M4. You don't need to engage stuff over 300 meters away if you have a Bradley.

The 172nd SBCT uses M4s and "para" SAWs almost exclusively now, I would assume the other Stryker units are going the same way. They don't have any Bradleys, just Strykers and Humvees with .50 cal/40mm GL or TOWs. They do seem to have more snipers and marksmen than your average Army unit, however.

The advantage of a shorter firearm when you ride around in an armored vehicle and spend a lot of time clearing urban areas would seem to be obvious.

[ February 13, 2006, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

Originally posted by civdiv:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GasMask:

I looked at the picture and I noticed what seems to be the 2nd Mar Div emblem. So... what's all that about, and how do you know he was in combat as a Marine? Is there a web site that goes with it for story purposes?

That's the combat patch, for the army. You wear your unit patch on your left shoulder, and the patch of the unit you first saw combat with on your right. So this guy is a soldier who first saw combat with the Marine Corps. </font>

Originally posted by akd:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by civdiv:

Why the heck would the Army issue them to a Mechanized unit? I mean, it's a 'Paratrooper' model. I can see needing the smaller footprint to help getting out the door, I can see SpecOps needing it because of the lighter weight, by why would a heavy Army unit want to get rid of the range?

Oh shoot, never mind. Same reason they went to the M4. You don't need to engage stuff over 300 meters away if you have a Bradley.

The 172nd SBCT uses M4s and "para" SAWs almost exclusively now, I would assume the other Stryker units are going the same way. They don't have any Bradleys, just Strykers and Humvees with .50 cal/40mm GL or TOWs. They do seem to have more snipers and marksmen than your average Army unit, however.

The advantage of a shorter firearm when you ride around in an armored vehicle and spend a lot of time clearing urban areas would seem to be obvious. </font>

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Angryson:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by civdiv:

With the short barrelled SAW he is either SpecOps or airborne. </font>

Angryson, welcome back home. One of the things I do NOT like about hearing from you guys at the front, in real time, is when there are no posts after awhile. One gets to wondering wondering... It's like that in general (we had a forum member pass away last year), but it's a little more likely than the run of the mill poster when that someone is emailing from Baghdad that they're number might have come up a bit prematurely.

Steve

Actually, sort of funny story came to mind from the M249 Para thing. A friend of mine took an Army THT to Afghaniland. He was bitching about their M16s, and needing M4s, and they were told that they only rated M16s. So about 2 months after they got over there the Bn tells them that now they can get M4s, to go along with the FORD trucks they have (They are like the only guys I ever saw with US made civvie vehicle). So they say, hey, sign me up, when do we get them issued? They are told that they have to turn in their M16s, and they will be converted into M4s. So they asked what they were supposed to do w/o rifles? They were told that they had their M9s, so that was enough. SO they turn in their M16s, and like 3 months later they get M4s. So about 6 weeks later they get an email from Bn telling them to turn in their M4s. They are really confused and they ask why, and they are told that since they are a couple of months from leaving country, they need to turn them in to get converted back to M16s, as they can't leave theater until their weapons are back to their authorized TO&E. I am not ******* you!!!

Weird, but sort of in a car wreck sort of way.

Shiite, the bold of my name made me miss the rest. Welcome back man, and glad you made it home safe. Thanks for going out there on the pointy end of the spear, and let your fellow soldiers know the same.

"Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

I've always been the most impressed by the Marine Corps - and I'm a former Army grunt. The Marine Corps has a reputation of being kind of thickheaded with more bravery and brawn than brains to those that don't know the Corps.

On some levels - say, the infantry fire team, that may be true. But as an institution I think the US Marine Corps is probably the most intelligent, competent, adaptable, aggressive and common sense military organization in the world. I've never failed to be impressed by their officer corps - in fact, I think their officer training program is probably the best in the world. Every single Marine officer I've ever met has been absolutely sharp, well rounded and professional. Ditto for their NCOs.

The Marine Corps knows it's job and it knows how to be the best at it. I love the fact that they embraced maneuver warfare and combined arms and they train on it constantly. I was in an Army air assault unit that never even saw a helicopter but the Marines practice with fully integrated forces all the time.

Just my minor little soapbox post. smile.gif

Rear Admiral Stark's views on Marines

(taken from a speech at the 220th USMC birthday)

As I tried to think of a way to wrap all this up, it occurred to me that the Services could maybe be characterized by different breeds of dogs...Now I don't want to offend anybody, and I'm sure each of you will have your own opinions, but these are my favorites.

For me, the Air Force was pretty clear. They remind me of a French Poodle. A poodle always looks perfect, like it just came from the hairdresser. It sometimes seems a bit pampered. It always travels first class. But don't ever forget, the poodle was bred as a first-class hunting dog, and in a fight, it's very dangerous.

The Army is kind of like a Saint Bernard. It's big, and heavy, and sometimes seems a bit clumsy. But it's very powerful and has lots of stamina. So you want it for the long haul.

The Navy, God bless 'em, are a Golden Retriever. They're good natured and great around the house. Kids love 'em. Sometimes their hair is a bit long, and it tends to shed a little. They go wandering off for long periods of time, and they love the water.

The Marines were a bit of a problem. I don't see the Marines as an English Bulldog, like Chesty the Marine Corps mascot. In fact, I actually see the Marines as two different breeds, either Rottweillers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties --- big and mean, and skinny and mean. They're both very territorial. They're aggressive on the attack, and tenacious on defense. They've both got really short hair, and they always go for the throat. That sounds like a Marine to me!

I was a logistics Marine.

I wanted to join the infantry, but at the last moment changed my mind because my wife got pregnent.

Bugger. In my entire time on this forum I don't think I have ever seen one military type ask another one what his MOS was and get back anything other than something so arcane and specific that us non-military types might as well have been trying to crack code when we tried to follow it.

'Logistics Marine'?

Nidan, lad, should I understand by this that all the time that buggers like you and Berli were asked your MOS, you could simply have said something like: I did Marine stuff involving mortars, or: I was a Marine guy with a rifle?

Well Seanachai, I don't see any reason to float my own boat. I float the Marine Corps' boat, but I don't like to brag about what I do/did. Besides, what I did can't compare to the leagacy left behind by Marines before me.

(you are saying that my simple reply was a good thing right?)

Well Seanachai, I don't see any reason to float my own boat. I float the Marine Corps' boat, but I don't like to brag about what I do/did. Besides, what I did can't compare to the leagacy left behind by Marines before me.

(you are saying that my simple reply was a good thing right?)

Well, no. It seems to me that anyone who had really been in the military, when asked a specific question by another guy who had shared the same experience, they'd speak to one another in the language of their shared experience.

That's how people with the same shared experience speak to each other. To be polite to those without that shared experience, they'd most likely throw in the comment: 'That means I was a 'logistics marine' to the rest of you guys'.

I guess my real point is, what was your MOS and actual duties? Be as arcane as you like, and go into incredible detail! I'm like a giggly schoolboy for all that military talk!