Building Corners as Cover

In a MOUT setting, the ability to have two soldiers aim around the corner of a building, one kneeling and the other aiming over his head, would be very useful. Each such shooter should benefit from at least 50% - 75% hard cover agaist direct fire attacks directed at them. In addition, they would be able to step back out of the Line of Fire and become 100% covered if a lot of fire was coming there way. Grenades would be very effective against them though, as they would be totally exposed behind the building corner.

In CMx1 it wasn't possible to simulate this. Units were either in a building or not, and only benefited from the cover the building provided when physically inside it. Any unit that had a Line of Sight around a building corner was 100% exposed to incoming fire unles they were also in some other cover near the building, such as trees rocks.

I would like to see building corners being much more useful as cover in CM:SF and CMx2 in general. If I order a squad to the corner of a building, I want to see two men using the corner as cover in an "under/over" configuration", but able to step back into complete concealment if under heavy fire. Any other men in the unit should be in complete concealment behind the corner of the building but able to step out into the street momentarily to loose off a few rounds.

• 2 years later...

Don't these guys in the picture even understand basic military procedures? Every grunt knows you spread your squad out into a non-supporting line and send the first guy in line straight around the corner of the building into enfilade. Then, when he thoroughly riddled, and in full view of the second "point" man, he too runs out into murderous fire.....repeat ad nauseum.

I've seen it time and time again from the AI and who am I to question the genius of the TAC-AI?

LOL.

Wow, 2005! I can barely remember posting this - but I think the point I made is still valid. The corners of buildings are one of the best types of cover available in a MOUT setting. There have definitely been improvements in CM:SF's use of such terrain in recent patches, but there is still much to do.

I wouldnt mind seeing a 'sticky' formation feature whereas by when you move your mouse near a building or wall, the cursor changes to reflect the position of the troops in a manner flush against walls and corners etc.

This is in other games that I have played in the past and works a treat.

That would be cool Dave. According to Moon the next patch will give us better usage of hill tops and walls and the like, and he has stated there will be some kind of feedback on their position. What that means? I guess we have to wait and see.

Mord.

You won't even have to wait long. And yes, this type of behavior (positioning around building corners) is in fact part of the new infantry AI, thanks to the requests of certain beta testers (you know who you are). Incidentally I have just finished taking a streak of screenshots this morning showing how it works for the upcoming Features section of the Marines website.