My questions about ATI Radeon

Hi all,

two days ago my GeForce4 Ti4400 started giving me weird plaid patterns and locking up my system, and when I replaced it with another (new) GeForce card I had the same problem. I decided to go with an ATI Radeon 9800 instead.

1) I already know that fog doesn't work (alas). However, does this mean that sandstorms won't show up in CMAK either?

2) I also know about the weird text effects with FSAA on, but I can live without FSAA. Anisotropic filtering works and in fact looks great.

3) What are the best drivers for Radeon 4800 Pro and CMBB? Right now I'm using the ones that came out of the box: 6.14.10.6334, dated 4/8/2003. Are there any better drivers I should know about?

4) Are there any other setting tweaks that make CMBB look especially good?

Thanks for any advice!

1) I already know that fog doesn't work (alas). However, does this mean that sandstorms won't show up in CMAK either?

2) Are there any other setting tweaks that make CMBB look especially good?

Actually, that first question is very valid. It probably won't affect my decision whether to purchase CMAK or not, but still, I'd like to know now... :confused:

PC ATI cards - no

Mac ATI card 32mb Radeon - definitely yes :D

As for the sandstorms in CMAK, the same answer holds as long as sandstorms are coded the same as transparent smoke/fog effects are in CMBO/BB.

Originally posted by Monty:

Can anybody answer the question please ! :

- Do ATI cards show smoke (in CMBO/CMBB) ?

- Will ATI cards show sandstorms in CMAK ??

Monty

[ July 07, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Wicky is wrong in part:

ATI cards do show smoke in CM with no problem; it's just fog that doesn't show up (although of course it still affects LOS, hearing, etc.)

Looking at the available CMAK screenshots, I'm guessing that the kind of sand clouds raised by moving vehicles will be processed the same way smoke is now. Whether there is a map-wide sandstorm effect that works the way fog does now remains to be seen.

I got a 7500 ati pc card running the graphics on my system(a 900 mhz celeron)and it gives me great smoke effects whether from a burning tank or a smoldering rubble that I blew up

Originally posted by Wicky:

PC ATI cards - no

Mac ATI card 32mb Radeon - definitely yes :D

As for the sandstorms in CMAK, the same answer holds as long as sandstorms are coded the same as transparent smoke/fog effects are in CMBO/BB.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Monty:

Can anybody answer the question please ! :

- Do ATI cards show smoke (in CMBO/CMBB) ?

- Will ATI cards show sandstorms in CMAK ??

Monty

</font>

I'm running a Radeon 8500 on an Athlon 700. Smoke and snowflakes look great. I haven't tried fog yet (I'm new to the game, bought CMBO at London Drugs yesterday, and I can't stop playing). I'll let you know.

... (read other post, tried fog in game)

Ok... No fog... Dam. Ok CM2, please let me see fog. *sigh*

[ July 08, 2003, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Vertical Tank ]

Careful Monty........You should decide what card to buy by the gaming you prefer. If your into other games like FPS or even some of the RTS games you might want to go with the Geforce cards. Not only do they run these types of games well they will support the new games like "DOOM 3" where as the ATI cards are being tested but not guaranteed to work as well as the Nvidia cards. Except the newer FX cards the nvidia cards are the best for running the CM games.

Just my opinion M8........we all have our own way of playing and enjoying our PC games....hope you get the best from what you decide. ;)

Thanks for the answer Panzertruppe

Strange the new FX cards seem to have some problems.

I have now a GF4 Ti4200 with an Athlon 1.4

I can still play my favourite games ( CMBB, MOH:AA and BF1942) with no problems, so maybe i just wait a bit till Nvidia has ironed out the problems with the new cards.

Monty

Battles usually don't occur during full blown sand storms and to the best of my knowledge we have no plans on modeling them.

The display of small dust and sand clouds should not pose any problems with Radeons as they are not rendered using Fog Tables.

Madmatt

[ July 10, 2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Monty,

i bought a Radeon8500 mostly for CMBB when it came out.

I'm so disappointed about the no-fog problem, that i'm more and more thinking about replacing it.

I really miss the atmosphere fog created when i played CMBO with my old TNT2-card.

Don't make to fast decisions.

Originally posted by Monty:

Im thinking to buy a ATI card for next pc, because they seem to have to better performance in other games and i can deal with the no fog issue.

A couple things you may need to know. The ATI cards are picky cards. They work differently in different systems. I've run ATI cards from the pre 7200's right up to my current 9700pro and I also run Nvidia's. The ATI's have given me MUCH more problems and the 9700 is still not working as I hoped ( been in my Abit system over a year)

And the big problem is the lack of support. You get a month or 2 of complimentary tech support from your first call and then you have to pay ALOT. Buying ATI cards means you'll basically be left out on your own to figure out how to get it to work and with it's notorious driver/hardware problems, you'll likey be sorry you got it.

[ July 17, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: WarDogz ]

Originally posted by WarDogz:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Monty:

Im thinking to buy a ATI card for next pc, because they seem to have to better performance in other games and i can deal with the no fog issue.

A couple things you may need to know. The ATI cards are picky cards. They work differently in different systems. I've run ATI cards from the pre 7200's right up to my current 9700pro and I also run Nvidia's. The ATI's have given me MUCH more problems and the 9700 is still not working as I hoped ( been in my Abit system over a year)

And the big problem is the lack of support. You get a month or 2 of complimentary tech support from your first call and then you have to pay ALOT. Buying ATI cards means you'll basically be left out on your own to figure out how to get it to work and with it's notorious driver/hardware problems, you'll likey be sorry you got it. </font>