Please Program the AI to WIN!

Originally posted by CanadaGuy:

Even though I am not in love with the ameri-centric universe (I could care less about the Battle of the Bulge)

You could, or you couldn't?

You have to admit that it is just something that must be put up with until either the expansions come out or the modders get their paws on it. I love CMBB and even like CMAK for Italy but if we want CMx2 to succeed so that it can be expanded later we must allow it to be a commercial success.
So get off your ass and create a game about Canadian soldiers. What's stopping you?

I have posted before that I am not in love with the subject matter but it is a great step in the right direction. CMBB was an abstraction (20x20m squares, elevation very picky) and even though CMSF will also be an obstraction it allows us to portray the battlefeild to a greater degree of accuracy.

If this means putting up with US vs Syria then so be it. It it eventually allows me to create more accurate East Front maps then I will support it.

I feel your pain as I live in Canada (try living next door to the idiot savant)

You mean Saskatoon? ;) It's only a few hours drive from here.

but it is not their fault that there culture holds so much attraction
idiot savant indeed.... :D

Fulfilling the desires of 270 million people with money/god in their pockets is a more powerful force than 30 million people with cultural views on guns/drugs...or even what the subject matter should be in popular entertainment.
Huh?

To be honest, I don't understand the complaints about the Ameri-centric nature of CM:SF. It isn't as though there are a lot of, erm, sympathetic nations in CM:BB, but that doesn't stop me from playing and enjoying it.

I don't choose to play a tactical wargame based on the political/cultural outlook of the involved combatants, I choose to play based on the quality of the product. But I suppose I'm strange like that.

I agree, Max. It's absurd to whine that CM:SF is inferior because "my home nation isn't included!". Hell, CM:BB was an awesome game, and many Americans, Canadians, Brits, and such all enjoyed it. What's the difference? Even in CMAK and CMBO where I have the option to play as US, I often choose German. I think that in general, the community is better for losing those who decide to leave for such silly reasons.

The point about complaining about CM:SF being US Forces centric is just that juan, the lack of choice. I'm not particularly concerned about having my home country included or not, although I think that the Diggers would be interesting to go in a near future Middle Eastern conflict simulation, especially since I've never ever come across a single bloody one! However for all anybody knows particular other nations Forces might be extremely interesting and fun to go such as the British, even alot of Americans might find that they would go the Brits more than their own home country, you never know.

(While I'm thinking about it, I demand the BFC include the defunct Blackwatch Regiment to be included in this near future Middle Eastern conflict setting!) tongue.gif

Back before we knew what form the next CM would take there was a popular thread listing all the guys' wish lists of theaters/subjects for CMx2. Whenever a non-U.S.-centered subject popped up it would more often than not be hammered back down by the group, complaining that it would never be a sufficiently popular for Americans to buy in volume. I recall that was the big bitch about CMBB when it first came out, too. No Yanks, no G.I.s, no Grunts. So having little besides U.S.-centric games may be largely our own fault, for having complained so much when non-U.S. theaters get suggested.

Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

[QB] The point about complaining about CM:SF being US Forces centric is just that juan, the lack of choice.

Ah, the lack of choice... So if it was the British vs the Syrians, you'd be complaining about the game being Anglocentric? ;)

(It sounds like your beef is with the new "module" format.)

[ December 13, 2005, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Tarquelne ]

Originally posted by Tarquelne:

Ah, the lack of choice... So if it was the British vs the Syrians, you'd be complaining about the game being Anglocentric? ;)

(How is being made to go the US not also Anglo-centric I say?)

Not really, it would be something different to have though like the Hidden & Dangerous series which is British WWII SAS only, although you don't get to go the Germans or Italians in that unless you're inpersonating one!

No I have two beefs, firstly the US centricity and secondly with the apparent restrictions for playing the other side, the Syrians. That said, the latter issue is definately the lesser of the two cos I can understand the language problem getting in the way of the multi-player developments etc, which by the way DO NOT bother me in the slightest.

I hope the AI does have any problems with the language barrier! :rolleyes:

Dear Michael Dorosh,

You will have to forgive some grammatical errors as it is difficult to write a long post with co-workers hovering over your shoulder. (This would include the lack of checking for grammar - there vs their) :confused:

Actually I am not complaining about it being US vs Syria. I am just not especially interested in playing as the Americans in most theatres of war though I would make exceptions for the Korean War. And who has the time to create their own wargame to get exactly what I want? I applaud Steve and Co for going this route, creating games and consistently giving us quality products. If it was not for them I would be playing ASL solitaire once again.

As for Idiot Savant, I was referring to any town south of Saskatoon including Calgary (but not Regina as they are just idiots). ;)

My diatribe about culture was meant to say that Canada (or Australia or …) just does not have the economic clout in most areas to have any effect on American marketing decisions. One of which was to create a game that was focused on the American military.

Jason

BTW Just read your article on Canadian Soldiers and it was enjoyable.