Any way to adjust LOD? I want to see the trenches

Performance on my system is great. I don't know what all the fuss is about. A pause-and-go game like this doesn't need the FPS of a FPS (damn overlapping acronyms!).

Is there any way to adjust the level of detail system? The trenches in particular would be nice to see from a bit further away. It drives me nuts that I can't see enemy units in their trenches without zooming in so close that I can see pimples on their faces.

You can try increasing terrain or polygon detail in the settings display. See if that gets you anywhere. That might push back the LODs by a bit. Often a distant trench will be seen as a dark splotch on the terrain letting you know 'something's' out there.

I rather suspect its not really all that easy to spot a well prepared slit trench in hilly terrain from 400m+. I tend to play close to ground level with the troops and don't expect to see much more than they would. Others prefer to hover above the battle during gameplay like the all-seeing eye of God.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I rather suspect its not really all that easy to spot a well prepared slit trench in hilly terrain from 400m+.

I respectfully disagree. Not when one side (Americans) has total air superiority, choppers and flying drones. One suspects, OTOH, that Iraqi, oops I mean Syrian, intel is considerably less comprehensive.

The reason for this is that the game doesn't do "adaptive terrain LOD". Ideally, the terrain mesh is kept at a certain detail level for important parts (steep changes in slope, streets, trenches) but the mesh detail is decreased in proportion to distance for the more flat parts of the map. As it is now, the area of high terrain LOD seems to be circular around the camera regardless of whether there's a trench farther away or not.

In their defense, this is quite annoying to get right code-wise. I myself only did the simple, circular terrain LOD. Yes streets get butchered at times, but it basically does the job.

Blackmuzzle,

Actually, there is adpative LOD. The problem is that trenches are killers since they disrupt the mesh so much. So it isn't so much about the look, it's the framerate.

We are looking into allowing users to have nore DIRECT control over the LOD distance. Not sure if that will make the 1.02 cut, but it will get in if I have anything to say about it. And I have at least 2cents to add smile.gif

Steve

"One suspects, OTOH, that Iraqi, oops I mean Syrian, intel is considerably less comprehensive."

With the exception (and BFC models this) of that guy with a celphone in his hand watching the parade pass beneath his window. Sprinkle a few Syrian 'spies' around an urban MOUT engagement map and the Syrian side will know what the commander had for beakfast that morning - with cel phone picts of the meal!

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Blackmuzzle,

Actually, there is adpative LOD. The problem is that trenches are killers since they disrupt the mesh so much. So it isn't so much about the look, it's the framerate.

We are looking into allowing users to have nore DIRECT control over the LOD distance. Not sure if that will make the 1.02 cut, but it will get in if I have anything to say about it. And I have at least 2cents to add smile.gif

Steve

Is there a darker texture than can be placed on trenches so that even when they LOD to flat terrain, you can see some indication of where the trench is?

My main difficulty with this is when I'm trying to assign linear bombardments on trenches. I have to get very close an pan along the trench lines to assign targets.

• 5 weeks later...

Could it be a good thing to consider a 2D/3D mix to display the trenches, so that they always could be seen?

The way they appear/disappear constantly at the distance I use to look at the battlefield doesn't fit with the overall graphic quality and is rather distracting.

For now, I avoid scenarios featuring trenches...