Arty Smoke

Rick

So I called in an emergency, point, anti-armor strike and a couple minutes later there's this thick black smoke between the spotter and the tank. Was that artillery smoke?

I also learned that T72s are complete murder on infantry, wiping out whole squads in a single shot.

I thought I didn't see any artillery land. Man he must've been responding to the spotter, certainly wasn't anything else on that hill for him to fear. A couple more shots from his main gun and there probably wouldn't have been anyone left alive on the hill.

Originally posted by Rick:

I thought I didn't see any artillery land. Man he must've been responding to the spotter, certainly wasn't anything else on that hill for him to fear. A couple more shots from his main gun and there probably wouldn't have been anyone left alive on the hill.

I would think that what The Syrian Tank commander can see adjusted by his experience, motivation and morale would play the critical role in to pop or not to pop smoke.

'Emergency' means they point the tubes in the general direction and start firing like mad. Mortars will miss - they just won't miss by as much as the artillery. May be useable if you were going to 'area fire' a big footprint anyway.

I'm just guessing, we probably haven't got artillery smoke in the game because of initial fears of a monster framerate hit if artillery smoke was used. BUT the game engine just keeps getting faster and faster, a substantial improvement over the old 1.00 release. We can only hope they eventually decide they've got the game engine running at a good enough clip that smoke rounds wouldn't be a game-killer.