Ignoring the madness, a suggestion for CM:SF

dalem

I'm playing an AK QB right now - quick little Armor ME skirmish around a hilltop village. My force is basically 2-ish latoons of Shermans and 2 platoons of Engineers+HTs.

What I was thinking of is in the realm of "ear candy" - like radio chatter. I have never been in a tank or under a helmet, in WWII or modern day, so I have no idea if what I'm thinking is reasonable or realistic, but...

Maybe a CM:SF option switch before a QB or scenario that lets you define whether you are the infantry CO or the armor CO? And you get the majority of your background cues from that element only. Most of the time I would think it would be just that - ear candy, but if someone were to try and play a la "Ironman Rules", it could become relevant.

I dunno, just something I think might be interesting as an option.

-dale

Originally posted by dalem:

I'm playing an AK QB right now - quick little Armor ME skirmish around a hilltop village. My force is basically 2-ish latoons of Shermans and 2 platoons of Engineers+HTs.

What I was thinking of is in the realm of "ear candy" - like radio chatter. I have never been in a tank or under a helmet, in WWII or modern day, so I have no idea if what I'm thinking is reasonable or realistic, but...

Maybe a CM:SF option switch before a QB or scenario that lets you define whether you are the infantry CO or the armor CO? And you get the majority of your background cues from that element only. Most of the time I would think it would be just that - ear candy, but if someone were to try and play a la "Ironman Rules", it could become relevant.

-dale

I was thinking of something similar last night - instead of just sound files for infantry - especially at night - why not animations with the soldiers giving hand and arm signals?

I suppose the downside of this is that they don't really do them in the field? For fear of snipers? I am thinking of the exchange in A RUMOR OF WAR (not exactly verbatim):

Sergeant Coleman: "You know for about ten seconds there you looked like a Tokyo traffic cop."

Lieutenant Caputo: "What about you, walking around, you could have had your ass shot off."

Sergeant Coleman: "Don't make me out to be some kind of hero, lootenenant. I would have taken cover quicker than any of you, but I wrenched my back getting out of the chopper this morning. I'm an old man you know."

Lieutenant Caputo: "Some old man..."

But if they are used regularly, would be nice eye candy....

Originally posted by Andrew H.:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

-dale

How good's your arabic? </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

-dale

I was thinking of something similar last night - instead of just sound files for infantry - especially at night - why not animations with the soldiers giving hand and arm signals?

I suppose the downside of this is that they don't really do them in the field? For fear of snipers? I am thinking of the exchange in A RUMOR OF WAR (not exactly verbatim):

Sergeant Coleman: "You know for about ten seconds there you looked like a Tokyo traffic cop."

Lieutenant Caputo: "What about you, walking around, you could have had your ass shot off."

Sergeant Coleman: "Don't make me out to be some kind of hero, lootenenant. I would have taken cover quicker than any of you, but I wrenched my back getting out of the chopper this morning. I'm an old man you know."

Lieutenant Caputo: "Some old man..."

But if they are used regularly, would be nice eye candy.... </font>

Dalem, excellent idea. Background radio chatter would add enormously to the game, and you dont have to make it fit with the action either to be honest...at least not more than generic "we are taking fire"-type chatter, or "we are advancing to contact"-type chatter, or...well you get the idea.