The Peng Challenge Thread Wants YOU... To Go Away.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamethrower:

Wow, I think I struck a nerve there..It's ok Joseph.. Go ahead n vent.

Btw, I think Boo looks better.

Better than Joe? No big trick there, Phlegmthrower.

Most living things look better than Joe. </font>

Originally posted by flamethrower:

Wow, I think I struck a nerve there..It's ok Joseph.. Go ahead n vent.

Btw, I think Boo looks better without the glasses.

Struck a nerve? Whatever do you mean lad? You asked for career advice and I thoughtfully provided it DESPITE the fact that you're a worthless SSN and deserving of nothing better than the back of my hand.

But I find that getting older also means growing more tolerant of the antics of the young and every once in a while I'll provide the boon of my years of experience to boost the fragile ego of one too young to know the ways of the world.

Why just yesterday I thought a good thought about dalem ... immediately replaced by the desire to firebomb his house of course but still ...

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

character1.article.jpg

This you?

From your High School year book? </font>

Today, I was offered the chance to buy several hundred dollars worth of 'garden gnome, solar' from a bankrupt outlet buyer.

I was conflicted.

It's an interesting office... environment that I'm currently working in.

And the paddling season simply has to start soon.

I now live under a shadow. The shadow that, soon, my friend Small Emma will no longer have any interest in Grandma Steve.

She's getting to be such a self-contained little person now. And her sister, Smaller Nora, once viewed as simply an 'annoyance', is poised on the brink to become a great chum/playmate.

The other day her Mom was off for Spring break, and I was working, and she decided to pack up the two little buggers and come have lunch with me. She said 'Emma, would you like to go have lunch with Grandma Steve?'

And Small Emma told her: 'No'.

Her Mom, who was used to an enthusiastic 'Yes! Let's go see Grandma Steve!' was taken somewhat aback.

She said to her 'You don't want to have lunch with Grandma Steve?', and Small Emma told her 'No, 'cause we'll go to a boring restaurant, not a kids restaurant'.

I have never deserved such a judgement.

Her Mom knows what is what, and who is who, and who's going to do what she wants. She bundled up the Small Friends and drove out to the remote Hell that is Eden Prairie, and we all had lunch. We ate at a Baker's Square, which is a 'Family Restaurant', and it looks like it might be one of our last opportunities to do so, 'cause they're in Chapter 11 and are going to shut down 7 metro locations, and there can't be much more than 7 of them left around town.

The Magic goes away. How can it be? Will there come a day when a small, imperious Princess no longer need her most subservient Minion?

Of course. She is within months of having a built in (although unruly and troublesome) playmate, her own sister. She already has playmates through Day Care. The 'thick as thieves' Anna Curtis. The irrepressible Maya Choi Choi (although I am told that that is a nickname, because her real name is simply 'Maya Choi'; Emma explained this to me, and I will some time have to explain to her what a 'nickname' actually is). And the infamous 'Isabella Brooks', who her Mom thinks has a bit too much attitude, and is snippy, and doesn't want Emma to get too chummy with, which, if you knew her Mom, is pretty damn funny.

I am not, of course, completely yet abandoned. When people are visiting, and no one pays attention to the Princess, there is always Grandma Steve. And, of course, I am still the Very Best Playmate, in that I both obey her every whim, will play the most insanely silly and repetitive games ever, and, as the kicker, I am a putative adult!

Which means she can play games that not only wouldn't be tolerated for a New York second by her folks, but that lie completely outside the imagination of responsible parenting.

But not outside the imagination of such a Minion as - Grandma Steve.

One such game, that we revisited and built upon this last weekend, is 'Magic Merry-Go-Round'.

I swear by all the gods that I did not, so far as I can remember, actually come up with this game. On the other hand, I find it amusing too, and I doubt that Emma could have a come up with it completely on her own. Mea Culpa.

So, on Saturday, she was showing me this bounty of beanie baby stuffed animals she'd gotten from her Grandparents (maternal). Possibly an investment in collectibles that blew-up, hard to say. And we're playing in her room, and she starts taking the beanie baby that, I believe, is supposed to be a firefly, and which she insists on calling 'flutter fly', and throwing it up in the air.

She's big enough now to actually get some velocity on this stuff when she throws it. Enough so that if she throws something to Grandma Steve, he turns a bit sideways, or drops one hand down to waist level as a precaution.

So, she throws this beanie baby toy up into the air, and shouts 'fly, Flutter Fly, fly!' And the thing rockets straight up, bounces off the ceiling, and hits the floor.

But here's her little sister, Smaller Nora, standing there, peering up at the ceiling of the room for the next several minutes, waiting for the toy to come down. I completely broke up. Had a hard time fetching 'Flutter Fly' back so that Emma could make him fly again.

So, after several minutes of the soft toy smacking into the ceiling, Small Emma suddenly remembered a long forgotten (and not quite completely forbidden) game. Which she now calls 'Magic Merry-Go-Round'.

Which involves a much taller Minion, such as Grandma Steve, taking and (with a bit of a hop and slam-dunk), placing a beanie baby toy on top of the blades of the overhead ceiling fan in her room.

This involves a bit of work, as the fan is up there, and the toy has to be tossed in such a way as to skim beneath the ceiling, and yet stay on top of the fan. Sometimes it takes several tries, and, at the end, Grandma Steve is a bit puffed and red-faced.

Emma immensely enjoys the attempts, and laughs when the toy doesn't stay on the blade. She joins Grandma Steve in saying 'You stay up there, Seahorse!' or whatever, but enjoys it just as much if the toy bobbles off the blade and another attempt has to be made.

Finally, when Dragon 'Tippy Toppo', Jellyfish 'JaJa', 'Flutter Fly', greyhound puppy 'Mileu' and Seahorse 'Emma' are all in place atop the blades of the fan, comes the big moment.

The moment when Emma runs over to the wall controller, and turns on the fan, and starts 'The Magic Merry-Go-Round'.

Of course, within the next minute or so, the various bean bag stuffed animals become missiles flying about her room.

We take careful note of which one fell off first, and which one lasted the longest. We cheer the one that hit Grandma Steve squarely in the face, and knocked his glasses off, and we try to ignore the one that almost took out his wine glass (having my glass in the room during 'Magic Merry-Go-Round' got me a stern word from Small Emma).

We laugh hysterically about the one that hit the tent netting over her bed, and slid down like it was on a long slide, even though it knocked off one of the beautiful model butterflies her Mom has pinned to the netting. Grandma Steve pins it back up.

At the end of a round of this game, Small Emma heaves a sigh and says, 'Oh my goodness, that is so much fun.'

And I tell her 'Emma, I have to go. I have to go up to Dalem's'

She tells me 'Wait! We have to play this game 3 more times!"

She is the Great Negotiator these days.

I tell her: Okay, Emma, we will play three more times, but then it is done, and ( a thing I've learned from her folks), you have to agree that we are done, okay?

And she agrees. But she doesn't mean it. Her Dad is loving, reasonable, and firm. Her Mom is loving, indulgent, and no-nonsense. She knows that Grandma Steve is the biggest god-damn push-over in the Universe.

So we have to play 'Three more times'. So we play 'three more times'. And I tell her "Emma Sine, that is all, I have to go now".

And she tries to explain to me that we need to play the game 'three more times'. And when I tell her that we just played the game three more times, she tells me 'No, three more times in a row.'

Attempts to explain the difference lead nowhere on either side.

Her Dad shows up, and she knows she has to be reasonable. I tell her goodbye, and make my way back downstairs, where the wine is all gone, and the guests have left, and her Mom is in the front lawn, talking with the neighbour lady who dislikes me because I park my KIA in front of their house.

Jen says to me 'So, did you guys have fun?'.

And I tell her 'Well, yeah, but...we were playing that game you don't like. Magic Merry-Go-Round.

And she looks distracted.

'What game is that?'

And I bite the bullet, as all good minions eventually must, and I tell her 'The one where I put all the soft toy animals on the blades of the overhead fan, and then Emma turns on the fan.'

And Small Emma's Mom says: No! (and laughs). Goddamn it, didn't I tell you not to play that one with her anymore?!

And I, Grandma Steve, assume the demeanor of an angel, and tell her:

"Jenny, we are very responsible. I have trained her to never put the fan on more than 'low'"

But to be realistic, those goddamn soft toys come off the fan blades like mortar shells, low setting or not.

Oompa Loompa, doopity dee

If you are drunk, you will listen to me

Oompa Loompa dippity da

Unbridled hate will carry you far

What do you get when you play a cool game?

Scads of followers who bring you fame

How can you submit turns that die off?

Where can you find folks who do nothing but scoff?

Why do you keep reading things that I post?

When you realize that your pain will be most

Beneficial to me when I check in

And find that your ripostes

Are

As usual

Frightingly thin!

Ba-ba-ba-baaaaa

Youuuuu allllllll are pooo-heads!

(Youuuuu arrrrrre pooooo-heeeeeads)

Oompa Loompa doppity doe

This will surely piss off Olde Joe

Oompa Loompa deppity dee

This has been much fun

Purely for me!

Ba-ba-ba-ba-baaaaa

Purely for me!

Oompa Loompa doppity doe

This will surely piss off Olde Joe

Oompa Loompa deppity dee

This has been much fun

Purely for me!

Nonsense dalem I am the furthest thing from pissed off ... I AM amused that Michael, after all this time, STILL seems incapable of handling UBB code but I am not pissed off.

And, knowing you, I can readily see why the above would be "so much fun" for you ... simple pleasures for simple ... well, I'm just glad you're having fun that doesn't involve packing heat into the Mall of the Americas.

All of you right wing gun nut nut jobs are but a silly millimeter away from going postal and blaming it all on Waco ... which I've never understood ... maybe just a hatred of ALL late model biplanes?

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

All of you right wing gun nut nut jobs are but a silly millimeter away from going postal and blaming it all on Waco ...

Joe

Well, it is, after all, in Texas. It's not like anyone needs any other reason.

Aren't they having another stand off or something in Texas, with another wacky church?

What is it with you people?

Originally posted by Seanachai:

I now live under a shadow. The shadow that, soon, my friend Small Emma will no longer have any interest in Grandma Steve.

I told you that this would end in tears. Soon she'll realize that she can earn big bucks by ordering desperate middle aged men around and you'll be left in the dust like a broken and forgotten toy.

But that's okay, right? It will give you something to write about in your drunken, senile old age.

Michael

I am recalcitrant, and full of remorse.

I am multitudes, yet have difficulty producing a coherent turd.

I am now, and as such have already passed.

I am wallowing in loss, but can still bite.

I am buying the gloss, and can't contemplate white.

I am.

And so soon, others who am, aren't.

Sometimes aren't is attractive.

Like glittering wings of abstraction,

I rise

and settle again into the wells of reduction.

I glow, and once and awhile alight others.

But mostly, I succumb to somnumbulent musings.

And by so, abide.

Let's recap:

"There was an old man from Nantucket,

No, you dork! It was a girl, a GIRL, who came from Nantucket. Can't you Ozzies get anything right?,..."

Michael, you could at least pretend to know how to construct a limerick.

'A light, humorous poem of five usually anapestic lines with the rhyme scheme of aabba'