Small x-mas Bone

Barleyman,

You could say of course that the diversity of the available ammunition and guns and panzer models is huge compared to roundup in modern conflicts.
Exactly my point :D The Soviet tanks basically have only 3 guns, the US tanks 1 gun. All three Soviet guns can cause catastrophic damage to an Abrams, though the older the system the less the chance of that. Any one of these guns will KO anything else in CM:SF. In other words, all the Soviet guns fall roughly into the same class with roughly the same effects.

The Abram's gun is the only one out there and therefore as you move around your Syrian vehicles you will know that pretty much any hit from an Abrams will kill whatever you are driving pretty much from any angle (the better T-72s have a chance of surviving one hit, but probably will suffer significant damage and die soon after). The Stryker MGS' gun is less of a threat for employment reasons since it is an easy knockout if hit by pretty much any armored vehicle.

Contrast this with CMBB that had probably, I dunno, 80 or 90 guns of significance (including AT Guns). Cripes, I think there were something like a dozen different 37mm guns alone :D So yeah, I agree that knowing more about the weapon was a good thing in CMx1 games. However, I didn't bother consulting the data. Instead I used the color bars to tell me roughly how strong my vehicle was relative to others, then I used the mouse cursor to determine what my chances were for a specific unit vs. another specific unit. That's how I played and I did just fine tongue.gif

Of course if, say, Russia and China go to war for 5 years without going nuclear, you'd start seeing nifty upgrades to their existing hardware..
Which we aren't simulating so it isn't relevant :D

Steve

[ January 09, 2007, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...