Not deployable MGs in houses and roofs, bug or meant to be?

Capt. Toleran has it right. MGs can be - and are - used indoors in CMSF. They cannot, however, be "deployed" on the SF tripod. Think about it for a while, and you'll see it makes sense.

Elsewhere Steve has said you should be able to deploy them on rooftops as long as it has a low surrounding wall.

Originally posted by JonS:

Capt. Toleran has it right. MGs can be - and are - used indoors in CMSF. They cannot, however, be "deployed" on the SF tripod. Think about it for a while, and you'll see it makes sense.

Ok.. I will buy the rooftops with low walls argument.

But you are telling me you have never seen an MG42 deployed inside a house?!? POPPYCOCK I say ! I hardly think today's MGs are more complicated or larger.

Thats like the quintessential WW2 scene, an MG42 (deployed) openning up from the second story of a house to ambush an allied patrol. Band of Brothers anyone?

Anyway, I do think you should be able to deploy inside a building. But no biggie if thats how it is supposed to work in this game (which approximates reality)

I think the details have been covered here well enough already. Deploy Weapon means setting up the tripod only. It doesn't mean you can't use it in bipod mode. Firing from a window would require, as Huntarr says, a bunch of objects gahtered to form a stable firing platform. It is possible to do, but there is no guarantee that such materials exist or can be gathered easily/quickly. In other words, it is extremely variable. I suppose we could allow it to be setup within a house with some major time penalty (10 minutes?), but I'm not sure what the point of that is.

In an urban setting, which is the typical time you would find yourself in a house, the likely range to potential targets is rather short. Therefore the major benefits of the tripod (range, height off the ground, and longer range accuracy) are pretty much neutralized. In other words, a MG on the bipod through a window is most likely to be as good, if not better due to increased freedom of movement, than if it is mounted on a tripod.

Let's just say that for these reasons special consideration for mounting a MG on a tripod within a building is not high up on our list of things to muck around with ;)

Steve