BMP-2 vs MGS

Would you really expect for a 30mm BMP-2 not to be able to kill an MGS at 30m when it is firing and hitting underneath the MGS.

I am playing a 1.04 pbem game and that is exactly what happened. The MGS rolls into view. Takes a couple of rounds under the belly. Then turns and blows my bmp-2 to hell. At 30m I would have expected different results.

Picture to follow.

Originally posted by cool breeze:

It usually takes more than a couple auto cannon rounds to incapacitate light ACVs . The 105mm heats usually blow things up hard, so you damaged his while he blew yours up.

I understand that. But does that hold true even on the undercarriage? I wouldnt expect those to be too well armored. But maybe they are made with IEDs in mind.

Hitting the ground under a Stryker is otherwise known as a 'miss'. ;)

I recall reading of a WWII encounter between a Sherman and a Tiger I in Italy. in a village the Sherman rounded a corner and found itself within spitting distance of the Tiger. The Tiger frantically swung its gun around, fired... and missed! From point blank! I can't recall what happened next but since it was a first-person anecdote I assume the Sherman survived.

Yeah, the BMP-2's rounds don't pack a lot of punch. I'd be surprised if the MGS was without damage, but I'm not too surprised it was able to fire back. David, ask your opponent (when it's polite to ask smile.gif ) if the MGS in question was damaged at all. If not, perhaps there is something that needs to be looked at. Direct fire hits to underbelly armor is a VERY unusual thing so it's quite possible that there is an issue there we aren't aware of.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Yeah, the BMP-2's rounds don't pack a lot of punch. I'd be surprised if the MGS was without damage, but I'm not too surprised it was able to fire back. David, ask your opponent (when it's polite to ask smile.gif ) if the MGS in question was damaged at all. If not, perhaps there is something that needs to be looked at. Direct fire hits to underbelly armor is a VERY unusual thing so it's quite possible that there is an issue there we aren't aware of.

Steve

A few turns earlier I had two BMPs engage an MGS from about the same distance - but frontally rather than shooting up underneath it - and they KO'd the MGS. It took a few volleys - and obviously I dont know what caused the MGS crew to bail - maybe they just got scared.

btw, I must say that the fact that I can shoot the underside of an AFV is a very nice improvement over CMx1 games. But I still miss the old QBs *sniffle sniffle*

the knife fight scenario in CMBO saw an 88mm round from a Tiger ricochet off the front of a Sherman at an extremely close range. i think it was around 25m

the sherman was in the process of backing up around another building, when the Tiger fired at it ( it was almost perpendicular to the tiger ) it hit the front ( very extreme angle )

i have a love hate relationship with luck.