Chance Encounter now at CMMODS

Chance Encounter had started choppy for me in Elite but for some reason things quickly smoothed out and now its playing like my first runthrough in Veteran mode . It might've been the high proportion of see-thru "?" icons initially (something you don't get in Veteran). As units come into view, go out of view and die outright the see-thru "?" icon slowdown become less of an issue.

I had my doubts about whether Chance Encounter could be 're-imagined' for CMSF, but its a real hoot to play, a straightforward shoot-em-up!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Chance Encounter had started choppy for me in Elite but for some reason things quickly smoothed out and now its playing like my first runthrough in Veteran mode . It might've been the high proportion of see-thru "?" icons initially (something you don't get in Veteran). As units come into view, go out of view and die outright the see-thru "?" icon slowdown become less of an issue.

I had my doubts about whether Chance Encounter could be 're-imagined' for CMSF, but its a real hoot to play, a straightforward shoot-em-up!

Thank's MikeyD....I learned a bit on the trees. The old shot gun, fill space method of placement does not do justice to the CM:SF editor. I think that Last Defense will show some interesting forest for movement and battle.

By the way, did anybody ever succeed in putting a team (FO, MMG) on the second floor of the (quite strategic) building on the left flank!

I got teams on the first floor and on the roof, but they always ignored orders to go to the second floor!

Very weird!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

By the way, did anybody ever succeed in putting a team (FO, MMG) on the second floor of the (quite strategic) building on the left flank!

I got teams on the first floor and on the roof, but they always ignored orders to go to the second floor!

Very weird!

Best regards,

Thomm

I get 'em on the second floor balcony all the time...that's why the balcony is there...so don't know what happened to your guys unless they were taking fire from the church...very typical thing to happen...by the way my knickname for that since CMBO days is "Slaughter House 5" smile.gif

Originally posted by handihoc:

I got teams onto the second floor without a problem.

Managed to get a minor victory, even though I took heavy losses. Don't quite know why it was a victory, as I hadn't taken any victory locations beyond the crossroad.

If you are curious, you can always open the scenario in the editor and see there are invisible objectives the Red Side needs, and they are NOT listed or marked in anyway as objectives for the Blue side.

This one has the finger prints of more then a few folks on the design of it.

The original scenario was an exercise in testing the limits of the Editor (At least it was for me when I started to work on it sometime ago). This design history of changes was made more complex by Mark Ezra, and another designer who he credits. It has now metamorphasized into the work of art you are all enjoying so much! smile.gif

The original scenario was also (when I worked on it) a test of the editor for objectives and what it would take to win or lose the scenario for OTHER things besides just ground based territory objectives. I think I tried to throw in a good mix of other non-ground objective things for points to test out the game engine.

smile.gif

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I get 'em on the second floor balcony all the time...that's why the balcony is there...

Just to make sure: I am not talking about the building over the "victory location" with the green base, which is standing alone. I did not dare to advance that far.

I am talking about the leftmost pair of buildings.

Best regards,

Thomm

Yep, leftmost pair of buildings, infantry and mmg's on second floor, no problem. Done it a few times now.

MarkEzra, I'm assuming from your previous handle that you're a fan of the late, great Kurt Vonnegut? I've got everything he ever published on my shelf, and still dip in from time to time.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I get 'em on the second floor balcony all the time...that's why the balcony is there...

Just to make sure: I am not talking about the building over the "victory location" with the green base, which is standing alone. I did not dare to advance that far.

I am talking about the leftmost pair of buildings.

Best regards,

Thomm </font>

Ahhh that building. Just tested and got the result you noted. I can get troops on house roof, first floor but not second floor. I have no idea why...

Tom: will you check and pass on to the testers

In the mean time I will redo the original and see if a new building gets the same results and report back here.

Here's what I know. It involves the balcony only and I cannot duplicate the error on a test scen of all 2nd story positions with balconies. I think it may be that spot with that ground texture with that building position with a balcony. Ain't bug chasing fun...

Tom: I will send you the test scen

I will fix this building issue along with some tree base texture changes that will help game play ASAP and notify here.

They have it already. A re-DL is not mandatory. If played as PBEM the player who starts the game will use whichever version he has loaded. Now if you are asking me which I would use than I say get the latest for one reason only:

The trees have been re-figured completely. The largest tree number is 2 but the the trees most used are "D" which provide the best limited LOS. The tree bases are mud, so vehicles are at risk through tree approach and slows the Strykers ability to get into those areas of the battlefield covered by trees. Because the trees are mostly "1" it is easier to watch the action and less need to use alt T. But, again, it is not mandatory to use the latest The game play is about the same whichever you use.