Intorductions & a question

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for a good while now, so thought I'd register and join y'all (though I have to admit the breadth of mliitary knowledge displayed in these forums is truly intimidating at times!)

I've pre-ordered CMSF from Battlefront, but one thing I'm curious about is the situation re ammo in the new game. I've done a few searches, but none have come up with a definative answer as to how it will be represented. Will we have a similar systen to the previous CM games? Have to say that the way ammo was handled in the WW2 CM games was one of the few faults I found with that system. Even in my limited military experience with the British army, we had very tight fire discipline and were expected to make a basic loudout of 6 mags of 30 rounds each and 180 loose rounds last a very long time. In the original CM games ammo seemed to be expended far too quickly. Will every soldier have a set number of rounds, or will the whole squad of have a number of 'fire units' a la the original CM games?

Awaiting the answer with baited breath! Won't have any effect on my decision to pre-order CMSF, cos it's going to wipe the floor with the competition anyway smile.gif

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted May 26, 2007 01:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hehe... actually, the Army has experimented with a sort of Squad pack mule thing IIRC. The main problem is the logistics of keeping them running. That and probably expense!

One of the theories behind Stryker based infantry is that they keep most of their kit stowed in the vehicle itself. This is nothing new for Mech Infantry, who have had their tracks to stash stuff in, but the tradeoff has been smaller numbers of boots due to the more limited seating. Now Stryker ICVs provide the same footprint as light infantry platoon, but with the ability to lug around as much gear as the Mech guys. This is reflected in CM:SF. You can run over to a Stryker and "top off" your ammo.

Steve

Wellcome aboard Guinessman.

Yes the amount of knowledge on this forum can be quite intimidating. I thought I knew quite a bit about military afairs, until I joined this forum that is...

And quite frankly, some of us are a bit, odd, shall we say, but don't let that get to you. Some of the answers may be a bit "unusual", though you'll generally get the answer you're looking for eventually.

And you grogs be nice to the newbies now, y'hear?

I'll never forget one of my squad leaders in the 82nd describing his first week at division. they go alerted to invade Haiti.

He said at green ramp trucks started pulling up with ammo. the Paratroopers started dropping everything out of their packs except for water, food for 1-2 days and ammo. Lots and lots of ammo. He said he took extra ammo he could not even fire, but knew someone would.

Granted, that's a forced entry situation.

Welcome!

One of the reasons why ammo appeared to go quickly in the earlier CM games was what we call the time compression factor. It's pretty much standard for wargames to have things happen much faster than they ever could in real life because the player doesn't have the same issues facing him. Knowledge is so much better, no risk of dying, clear understanding of what the enemy is up to, watching units sit around is boring, etc. all compress the length of a battle by as much as 50%. If everything is roughly in balance with this time compression the game plays out fairly realistically, though much quicker. We feel CMx1 was very well balanced. And that means if the battle's timeframe was compressed by 50%, then the ammo should be expended twice as fast. We didn't design it that way specifically, it just came about naturally.

CMx2 is very different in terms of time compression. In RealTime the compression problem is basically not there much at all. I've not had problems with guys running out of ammo, though I have had to top a few off from a Stryker. I am not as familiar with WeGo because I don't play it any more, but I haven't heard any of the testers complaining about running dry. That's because even CMx2's WeGo has less compression than CMx1, or so it seems.

Make sense?

Steve

Originally posted by SGT_56M:

I'll never forget one of my squad leaders in the 82nd describing his first week at division. they go alerted to invade Haiti.

First modding task for me when SF comes out is get an 82nd graphics mod going, with scenarios to go with them.