CMAFK Sluggish on my Dell

Panta

Prior to buying CMAFK I have been playing CMBO. On my PC 1,5 Mhz, 512 Mb RAM, NVidia GForce 32MB it runs well, but on my Dell 2,6 Mhz, 512MB RAM, Radeon VE, it flies!

Now, something curious: CMAFK, albeit looking somehow more demanding, flies on my PC 1,5 Mhz and runs sluggishly on my Dell...

I have downloaded the tweaking utility and disabled the Z-Mask on the latter, to no avail.

Has CMAFK been tuned for GForce, maybe?

Regards,

Panta

Had the same problem initially with my Dell. Here's what solved my problems:

Check your Graphics Card drivers. You have a different graphics card than I do (I have the GeForce Go 440), but as it turns out, for my card if you downloaded driver updates directly from NVida, your graphics card will not work as well. You need to download drivers directly from Dell. Apparently, there are some minor differences with the Dell GeForce cards that requrire slightly different drivers. The standard NVida drivers will work, but at substantially reduced frame rate in CMAK (and possibly other games as well, I don't know, CM is the only 3D game I play).

I don't know whether there are similar issues with Raedon-equipped Dell machines, but it's worth checking out.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Had the same problem initially with my Dell. Here's what solved my problems:

Check your Graphics Card drivers. You have a different graphics card than I do (I have the GeForce Go 440), but as it turns out, for my card if you downloaded driver updates directly from NVida, your graphics card will not work as well. You need to download drivers directly from Dell. Apparently, there are some minor differences with the Dell GeForce cards that requrire slightly different drivers. The standard NVida drivers will work, but at substantially reduced frame rate in CMAK (and possibly other games as well, I don't know, CM is the only 3D game I play).

I don't know whether there are similar issues with Raedon-equipped Dell machines, but it's worth checking out.

Cheers,

YD

Wow, that made a HUGE differance, thanks. Moving around the battle field was very sluggish but after dl the driver from Dell the view point flys around the battle field. It might actualy be TOO fast now!

smile.gif

rv

rvalle -

Glad I could help.

I discovered this little ideosyncracy with Dell GeForce cards almost by accident. I looked back through my Dell documentation, and while it does tell you to visit the Dell site regularly for updates, it nowhere does it say that you shouldn't use the drivers downloaded directly from Nvida. Annoying.

This might be a good thing to put into the one of the sticky threads or something as Dells w/ GeForce cards are pretty common, and the difference in performance is substantial (hint).

Cheers,

YD

Well, I'm no computer expert, and I can't tell you what the official line from Dell or Nvida is.

The 'faulty' drivers that I downloaded and installed were from Nvidea, but I found them and linked to them through WindowsUpdate. It's possible that the problem is with the WindowsUpdate software reccomending the wrong driver. The correct driver might well be available on the the Nvida as well as the Dell website; I don't know.

Whatever the case, when I dutifully downloaded and installed the driver update that WindowsUpdate reccommended, there was a substantial degradation in 3D performance. When I rolled back the driver and then updated off of the Dell website, every thing was hunky dory.

So blame Dell, Nvida, Microsoft, or Canada (or all of the above :D ). At least one of them has got it wrong.

Cheers,

YD

A last development in my struggle with the Dell-Radeon combo vs CMBO-CMAK: following some suggestions found in the troubleshooting section I installed the Radeon's tweak program. After a few games I began to perceive an odd behavior, the Alt-G and the Alt-B toggles ceased to work and it also altered my desktop everytime I switched from game to desktop and inversely. As the program didn't help me with the main problem, the slow response on the Dell, I finally unistalled it and everything fell back to the beginning. In my opinion, the combination Dell-Radeon might rather be a headache for gaming purposes; I never could play ANY of the Steel Panthers series, either from SSI, Matrix or SPCammo on it.

Cheers,

Panta

pretty strange

i've run all the CM products on dell desktops (3 different ones with nvidia and ati vid cards) and on 2 different dell notebooks (different vid on each of them as well) and never encountered any problems

in fact, pretty much the first thing i do when booting one up is remove the vid driver and load the latest one from nvidia/ati

no issues whatsoever in CM or any other game for that matter

by default i've always worked under the assumption that any driver loaded by the mfg is going to be outdated, whether it be vid card, sound card, or whatever and immediately load the latest driver straight from the mfg of the part