Infantry going through walls like ghosts

JSB

Sorry if this matter has already been discussed (made a search with the key word "through" and didn't find anything). The thread can be erased if it's the case.

I've noticed it several times: When I give an order like this one (perhaps too confident), at first, the unit doesn't want to obey it, and the movement line disappears after a few seconds as if it was cancelled.

If I give the same order again (I know, I'm stubborn), the unit gets up and goes where it has to go, but in a straight line, ignoring walls and buildings.

ghosts01wb4.jpg

ghosts02gp9.jpg

I hope this can help in some way.

[ August 22, 2007, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: JSB ]

Yeah ive had this experience several times also. Team inside building, make one movement order straight into another building. Sometimes no go. The building can be like 10m just across a road with nothing in between. The movement order disappears and the team sits still through the full turn (wego).

In the third pic, everything is ok.

In the first one, there was a door in the right wall of the first building and a door in the middle of the front wall of the objective house.

So I expected my team to circle the first building on the right and then go in a straight line, or slightly sidetrack to avoid the wall-leaping effort.

Why is the order refused at once and accepted the second time and further? (if I order them to go back, they do the same thing)

Sometimes I 've had a squad refuse to go outside a building and cannot figure out why either. By moving the waypoint, (which with CMSF means deleting the whole damn order path :mad: ), I can get the stuck squad to move, an like you cannot figure out a consistent pattern to why sometimes they get "stuck". I'm chalking it up to the or a pathfinding bug.

I've had some weird path finding issues with buildings too, especially after ordering a squad onto the roof. If you then plot a waypoint on the ground or another building, they sometimes get 'stuck' inside the building and repeated cancel my waypoint (this is in RT mode). Sometimes they simply run through the air from one building to the next across the street!

You've never heard of Ghost Recon? ;)

I've experienced the same thing with squads in buildings ignoring orders in both RT and WEGO. It was a case of changing the destination point until they were happy to move out. I'm enjoying CMSF, however, am keen to see what improvements to TacAI and pathfinding are forthcoming in the next patch.

Originally posted by tc237:

Was there a door in the center of the front wall and a door in the back right corner?

I understand just now what you were talking about. The foreground building of the first picture has two doors: one -not visible- on its right wall, and one on its left wall, just in the middle of it, so that the high concrete wall blocks it.

When I remove one of the two doors, going through the building is no more an option, and the team goes to the right, across the wall.

If I rectify the position of the door, the team chooses to advance through the building, entering and exiting normally by the doors.

A map bug (100% my fault) triggers a pathfinding bug (100% not my fault ;) )