Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Modding Syria into Central Europe

mav1

Yes I am doing it as I type. My copy of CM:SF just arrived today. Man you should see how beautiful the game box is!

I am having a problem (seeing as I have only had the game for a few hours) with the way the lighting affects the tree shawdows in an urban environment. Plus the editor doesnt have buildings with enough height to accurately portray a downtown setting. The biggest multi-floor structure is only 10 stories, but it is cool to see the steps! Its rather complicated and may take me some time to get used to it.

Ok back to modding.

Just being a lowly fanboi, I can't really say for sure, but beyond the visual stuff that Steve brings up, My SWAG is that it will be very hard to correctly represent the capabilities of Cold War era units and weapons systems, with what's going to be in CM:SF.

We are, after all, talking about a nearly 20 year gap between the end of the Cold War, and the CM:SF's hypothetical time frame. That's about as long as the gap between WWII, and the Vietnam War. . .

On the US side, Many of the units and Weapons central to CM:SF's focus, like Strykers, M4 Carbines and Javelins, weren't even around during the time of the Cold War and the Warsaw Pact.

Even the systems that were actually around in the late Eighties at the end of the Cold War, have undergone extensive refit and upgrade. Today's M1A2 Abrahms and Bradley IFVs are a far cry from the ones that were running around in 1987. . .

There's OOB issues, too. Today's US Army is structured substantially different from its late eighties ancestor.

Might be a bit easier to create a passable model of late Eighties Soviet Ground forces with the Syrian forces, since the Syrians equipment is generally older Russian/Soviet stuff. But even here you're going to run into big challenges. . . from what I've seen on on Rudel's TOEs, there's pretty substantial differences, and missing pieces.

Cheers,

YD

Another thought.

BFC may want to keep central Europe for themselves! After BFC's got CMSF, CM-ETO, and CM-Space Lobsters on the store shelves (in the distant future ;) ) Who's to say they won't want to take a break by shovelling CMSF's already-finished Warsaw Pact equipment into their already-finished ETO environment? That would get them 3/4 of the way towards a quick 'WW-3 Fulda Gap 1970' game. Not to say they want to do it now, but who's to say how much blood they'll want to commit to another fresh CMx2 title by early 2009?

[ November 17, 2006, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]