Recce Humvee's: Huh?

c3k

Okay,

I've had far too many of these recce vehicles assigned to me. What good are they? I mean, sure, I'm able to drive them ahead of my guys and see who blows them up but I don't think that is how they're meant to be used. What purpose do they serve in CMSF?

Thanks,

Ken

They could prove useful for specific recon mission. There are "spot" objectives (or whatever they are called) in the editor. Where you get points for spotting a certain enemy unit. I made a test mission some time ago, where a Humvee had to identify enemy bunkers over some distance. Results were mixed and I wasn't all that interested to make a deeer analysis. But probably this could be extended to a bigger scale?

It would also be interesting to know if we can put the Humvee in a hull-down position so that only the optics are exposed? And does it makes any difference to use a Humvee or a, let's say Bradely RV in terms of counter-detection by the enemy?

Humvee's 'purpose' in the game is to force you to get some utility out of them! Real-world tactical situations often include less than ideal equipment under less than ideal circumstances. it would be a short-lived game if in every scenario you simply blew up the enemy with a 120mm gun.

Split your sqaud and bundle the SAW guys into a nearby Humvee, drive them up to a commanding overwatch position. There - utility. Personnel carrier protected from small arms fire beyond 100m.

The recon variant specifically i have preformed some tests on in the past, will spot enemy more reliably - but you've got to be 'unbuttoned' to get the thing to work, get someone working that big box on the roof!

Well today I played "Hammertime" and a recon humvee spotted a BMP on the other side of the map before any other unit. I then reversed the humvee out of site and sneaked a Javelin team there, which subsequently knocked out the BMP. I think the point is, they are for spotting units that are a long way away, not for close up action.

Originally posted by c3k:

MikeyD,

Thanks. I did not know that you had to be unbuttoned to use any special equipment.

Hmmm, wouldn't it be nice if the game interface let you know that?

Thanks,

Ken

Why? You should know that all ready.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Well today I played "Hammertime" and a recon humvee spotted a BMP on the other side of the map before any other unit. I then reversed the humvee out of site and sneaked a Javelin team there, which subsequently knocked out the BMP. I think the point is, they are for spotting units that are a long way away, not for close up action.

That sounds like their proper use.

Yeah, it does.

But this brings up the shortfalls of the interface; again.

Case in point: I'm aware of remotely operated machineguns. Therefore, seeing a machinegun on the roof of a vehicle does not tell me, the gamer, anything about its proper use. A gunshield around it is a clue, but not necessarily definitive information.

How do I know when a roof-mounted weapon needs to have an unbuttoned crew in order to be used?

There are various models of the M1 tank in this game. How do I know which ones can use the .50?

Any thoughts?

BF.C?

Thanks,

Ken

Originally posted by c3k:

There are various models of the M1 tank in this game. How do I know which ones can use the .50?

Any thoughts?

BF.C?

Thanks,

Ken

All of the M1 models can use 50 cal from inside the vehicle. There is a small handle with a trigger and a thumb switch that TC uses to move to 50 cal around, and he aims it through the periscope. The TC has to stick out to reload it though.

I think M1A2 abandoned the remote .50 cal feature. But then again, my info is all civvie pre-war. God knows what new fixes/updates have happened.

About the utility of those big recon boxes. Just last night I had a FO in an unbuttoned recon Stryker call in a mortar strike. The rounds arrived on target in two minutes. I bailed the FO, ran him to the side of the road and called in another mortar strike. That time it took three minutes.

From the manual p162:

M1A1

"A coax 7.62mm M240C machinegun and remote controlled commander’s

.50cal MG allow the Abrams to engage unarmored and lightly armored targets without

as much risk of damaging buildings or friendly forces."

p.163f:

M1A2

"One feature removed is the commander’s remote .50cal M2 weapons station. Instead the commander has to unbutton to use the machinegun, whereas the M1A1s allow him to fire fully buttoned."

;)

Guys,

This information is great. I mean that. I bought the expensive version to have the manual. I also, obviously, have the PDF version. But, in mid-game, I'm NOT going to pause to dig through them.

First, some of the information is WRONG.

Second, some of the information is MISLEADING.

Finally, some of the information is HIDDEN.

All I'm asking for is a TOOL-TIP or UNIT INFO screen which would tell me, the poor dumb bastard PLAYING A GAME, what my units are capable of.

This, of course, ties in with the various other INTERFACE improvement requests present in this forum.

I'm not looking for more CONTROL, I'm beseeching BF.C for more INFORMATION.

Thanks,

Ken