Orginal Stryker soldier

Hello, I just discovered this program a few days ago. I am impressed. In 1998 while stationed at Fort Stewart, GA in 4/64 Armor I re-upped for Fort Lewis, WA, about a week later the IBCT concept was announced, and I was pretty bummed because I didn't want to fight on a wheeled vehicle, I was a tanker for God's sake.

I was involved in the Stryker Brigade from the very beginning, assigned to the MGS platoon in B 1/23 Infantry. It was pretty lean times for a while, for the tankers anyway. We had no weapon system, we used anything from cargo humvees to borrowed Italian Centaros (such a horrible vehicle)to Canadian LAV IIIs.

Then we got ITAS TOW launchers and humvees to mount them on. It wasn't what we wanted, and we were pretty bummed that the line platoons had their vehicles and our MGS was nowhere near ready to be fielded. Then we got our ATGM vehicles about 2 weeks before the first ever deployment of an SBCT, to NTC, and then the very next month a deployment to JRTC to certify us a combat ready unit.

Anyways back to the game, I really dug that the training missions were in Yak, I hated that place and it is always cold and ****ty on MPRC.

here is a picture of me in the commander's hatch of my Stryker ATGM in JRTC back in 03:

l_32a316f2c371426344354e8f798baa59.jpg

Welcome!

I was a tanker for God's sake.
Hey, at least they let you keep your coveralls ;)

There are two places that are apparently detested by grunts... Yakima and Ft. Polk. All other CONUS posts appear to be varying degrees better than these two spots!

I've read a little bit about the very early days of the SBCT (IBCT at the time) development. I spoke with Lt. Colonel Chuck Hodges who was there trying to figure out how to make sense of it all at the higher level (he was a Major at the time). It's amazing to look at and compare it to other large shifts in US military history. Moving forward without waiting for the i's to be crossed and t's to be dotted (hey, it's the Army...). Definitely the way to go IMHO.

Steve

Welcome! I'm non-military, Brit, but a wargame fanatic of manyyears. Really fascinated by you guys' real-world experience of the military and combat.

You will find in Shock Force a superb, quite unique modern wargame/sim, backed up by a development team completely devoted to improving and building on it. If you're into WW2 I recommend checking out Theatre of War (big new patch incoming) and the early Combat Mission games too.

Now that potato peeling is done by civilian contractors I wondered what the military does with soldiers that don't salute or show up for inspection with their pajamas poking out of their Class As. My guess is it's another visit to downtown Baghdad smile.gif

SgtMuhammed,

By my count Angryson is past the halfway mark of his latest adventure in Iraq. IIRC his downtime between deployments was indeed short, but he's been over there for a while.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Now that potato peeling is done by civilian contractors I wondered what the military does with soldiers that don't salute or show up for inspection with their pajamas poking out of their Class As. My guess is it's another visit to downtown Baghdad smile.gif

Oh, Its all good. Our NCO's have all kinds of creative ways to adjust Soldiers like that. :)

I always had a big mouth. When we were doing the Force XXI stuff my old CO was the liason with TRW for the infantry systems. When we went to Hood to sign for the stuff he gave me a specific order to just shut up and sign for it. Yes he knew it didn't work but there were things way above our pay grade that made the decisions for us.