The best way to fix CMSF is....

M1A1TC

Part of my job is recommending technology companies for VCs to invest in.

Not that BFC would ever consider it, but getting external investment from VC's or angels is selling your soul to the devil. Its happy for the first six months. Then they come looking for their money + 40%.

On the other hand, not many VC's would be interested in investing any money in a company with the one programmer being almost the entire future of the company. Part of any investment contract would be to expand the programming staff.

For a very small company like BFC, investing in another programmer is a huge leap of faith. It would be a big financial burden for months and cash flow considerations could overtake even the best run companies while getting everything gelled. The only effective way to do it is find someone with a steady 9-5 job and convince them to work with Charles for a small piece of the company, while still maintaining thier current job. Of course that means less for everyone else at BFC.

I remember I worked for a manufacturing automation company about 20 years ago and I was the only revenue generator. There was the owner/manager, a sales guy, and me doing the field work. I quit and the company went under. I would think BFC is in a similar place.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mazex:

Programmers that don't comment their code should be taken behind a shed and shot. There is never an excuse to not comment your code. <- Period

mazex,

I have been a programmer and I always commented my code. Indeed, I probably over-commented it. However, I was in a large development team where you could be working on anything at any time, not a one-man operation like BFC. Whilst I agree that commenting code is important I think you shouldn't be too harsh on Charles, who by all accounts is an exceptional coder. He probably just didn't have the time to thoroughly comment everything and didn't see the point as he was the only coder. Maybe he even left the comments out for a bit of added job security. If no-one else can understand the code I guess your job is safe! ;) </font>

Originally posted by Sixxkiller:

I bet they would listen and hire more people if you guys paid for it. So which one of you has a couple mil for some cash infusion for little ole BFC?

Ive bought all their games, what more can I do? Odds are good CM SF is the last one I will buy from them though.

I believe that the references to uncommented code in this thread point to CMx1 and everyone in the prior posts made a note of that. While past performance is not a guarantee of future results it is the only indicator we have.

Game code for CMx1 source lack of comments was Steve:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002510;p=7

In any event I have made a living doing code. I even had my own game company for nine years and was the sole coder on it as well. While it is more difficult to jump into the middle of a project it happens all the time. While it is also more difficult to jump into a tangle of uncommented code that also happens all the time.