Map editor

There were quite a few good maps and scenarios w/ fords, bridges, river crossings etc., but I do agree that they often only worked well for Human vs. Human play; the AI had a hard time with bridges and fords.

AI could sometimes do OK defending a bridge, tho, as long as it didn't have too many mobile units that it might try to throw across the bridge.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Incidentally, you can now mix trees with other terrain types, so I think you can mix trees and impassable terrain types, meaning you could put your little poles around areas of woods and have them actually be impassable to vehicles in the game. I'd have to see if this is possible in the editor - maybe I'm speaking too soon - but trees are not automatically restricted to 'woods' or 'scattered tree' tiles as in CMX1. You can scatter trees onto other kinds of terrain if you want.

You can also have brush (underbrush) or clear underneath if you want. A lot more flexible now.

This sounds really great. I think I am getting as excited about the editor as I am about the game. Is that so wrong?

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

I am not sure how you would do it but between tight contours, swamp and rocks and a lot of flavour objects, I think you could model a pretty good city dump.

Not something you would associate with games of CM:BO to CM:AK, but definitely a feature from Mogadishu to Kabul, hell in a lot of third world countries whole communities earn there livings scavenging from them.

It may seem a daft feature to fight over, but as militants have hidden out in graveyards, maybe the local dump maybe isn't that crazy.

Peter.

I actually included a city dump in one scenario but I don't know if it made the final cut. Guess we'll all find out soon enough. I wouldn't want to fight from a dump; too easy to catch an infectious disease - I'm happy with the situation in which wounds have finally surpassed illness. That is a recent phenomenon, actually - more people died of flu in the pandemic of 1918 than did in action during the First World War.

Originally posted by dan/california:

Well , if it did not make the final cut you could just put it up for download yourself couldn't you? tongue.gif

But if it sucked that bad, why would I bother. tongue.gif

More to the point, Peter has brought us back to the flexibility of the editor once again. There are a lot of pretty interesting terrain features in the scenarios on the disc, and I think the community will have fun pushing the limits of what is possible even beyond that. I've already seen shopping malls, marketplaces, blown up overpasses, construction sites, highrises, deep wadis, open desert, dense forest, rolling hills, small villages, sprawling cities, barracks complexes, border fortifications, airfield defences, mountain passes - lots to see and do just among the scens that ship with the game.

trainingarea.png

Here are some poles, and a dirt road through a foresty area. No mods required for some fairly deciduous looking trees. The trees are in a mixture of terrain that will inhibit vehicle movement, if you want to make it seem exercise like. Blue-on-blue forces will help complete the illusion.

Working off actual terrain maps will be a breeze for you, now that the editor uses actual contour lines and elevation data.

Trees may not exactly be Redwood height, mind you, but you should be able to come up with some interesting terrain to fight in.

[ July 17, 2007, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by JonS:

Heh. You could also mod the uniforms and weapons to include IWESS kit and BFAs ;)

seiber1.jpg

I'm guessing you could also mod one of the road signs (there are several in the game) to read OFF LIMITS and mod the poles to be the correct colours?

We still can't mod the "high school babe rescue mission" though; the next great step on the road to 3D geekdom.

Although really, you can program the AI to avoid "off limits" areas no matter what the terrain, and in head to head play, you would be on your honour not to enter off limits areas - just like in a real exercise, even without putting limiting terrain in place.

Originally posted by Pinetree:

It didn't mention it in the tutorial, but can you use real maps as an underlay and just trace over them?

Hi Pinetree

No you can't load say a JPEG shot of a map then trace over it. Given the average scale of a map and the average size of a currently useable CMSF map you would'nt have much to trace around anyways smile.gif In saying that I based several maps on real world terrain although I worked from aerial views (Google earth) and 1:100 000 scale maps.

Still with the new elevation tool you can build contour levels far easier than you could with CMX1 - you literally 'paint' or 'draw' the contour lines much as you would sketch out a contour map. Hope that makes sense? smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

Use to be long-time poster back in the CMBB days... now lurking awaiting CMSF. Had to ask, though I'm sure it has been asked before (and I did a minor search so don't fire), can you mix and match blue/red forces? Just noticed that Humvees were delivered to the Iraqi Army and knowing they also have some T-72's and Iran is just over the border...

Regards,

LeBlaque