Crawl of Death still present in 1.03

jomni

The Crawl of Death is still in 1.03.

But if it is unsolvable due to limitations of the AI, like in the Close Combat series, then I can live with it.

Good thing most TacAI stuff has been solved (your troops do as they are told and can shoot by themselves already). Pathfinding is also fixed.

Great work!

1289077031_6f81c9f451_o.jpg

I don't know about whether they should rout or not, but I would tend to think that troops caught in the open would run for cover ASAP if the firer were close enough.

Really, it would be ideal if potential and real threats were modeled as part of the pathfinding algorithm. Basically, troops shouldn't cross an area covered by a threat (or going one step further, a potential threat) if they have other options. Perhaps the AI actually works this way, but I haven't seen it.

That can take a good deal of decision-making out of the hands of the player, though. I've implemented a few systems like that and while they certainly are more autonomous, it's a fine balance to strike.

This kinda puzzles me...seems there is no retreating, or changing position to get out of fire in CMSF compared to CMX1. I haven't seen anybody routed so far either...when anybody has broken they just stay put and die.

Then again I haven't played a ton of scenarios yet...

Mord.

I think the routers show up as Missing in Action in the AAR? Just guessing but it seems logical. Feel freee to correct :)

Yes, the Crawl of Death is still there but it doesn't appear to be happening nearly so often. I reported this elsewhere but in the scenario I am designing, the AI (US side) couldn't make an effective attack as they hit the dirt and crawled after receiving a little incoming. Now, they're moving very aggressively and it requires some serious firepower to put them down like before.

The US attack is now irresistable. It's now a question of balancing casualties to give the game some balance.

Yeah, the wording in the Patch was something like "improved" or something like that. In programmer speak this means "I know I fixed some reasons for it doing it, but I don't think I found all the reasons". We love programer speak :D

It's on the list of things to fix for v1.04. Should be fairly easy to get more improvements on this now that we've already isolated and fixed some of the reasons.

Steve