Bringing the Blue Bar back...

How about this compromise?

Why not use an IF algorithm in conjunction with a revived blue bar, like:

"IF BLUE BAR TIME TO COMPLETE 15% TAKES LONGER THAN X SECONDS, SWITCH TO REAL TIME PLAYBACK".

This would achieve BFC's goal of significantly speeding up the time between hitting GO button and seeing things move on monster scenarios like "To the Volga", while at the same time; retaining the blue bar's ability allowing us WEGOers to rapidly fast forward the boring parts where nothing is happening; such as road marches.

With the current setup, people are going to be pushed towards impatience just to see something start up; the Blue Bar and the VCR allowed you to rapidly resolve a slow, methodical advance; without it taking up a lot of "Real time".

I quite liked the thrill of that "watching guys walking around doing nothing" aka trying to catch the opponent on the wrong foot .... maybe because of the diminished size of maps/scenarios there is no point in flanking maneuvers anymore that made CM1 so special ?

The strategic part of the scenario editor needs more conditionals (yes, time is a conditional) - that way we could make it reactive and a real challenge to human players.

Operation Flashpoint had this, and it worked really well. You could create pretty advanced instructions and conditionals, split the decision tree at serveral places, and basically create a strategic AI that was very lifelike and challenging.

I think a well designed scenario can indeed have a long opening phase where not very much happens (well, if you think 15 minutes is long). And I liked being able to skip through it in CMx1. But I don't think any changes away from the current system are practical at this point. I'll suck it up and hope that more important issues are addressed first.

Originally posted by Runyan99:

I can't believe this is such an important issue. You guys are really too impatient to watch a 1 minute turn play out?

No, you don't understand. The problem is this is another hit on the WEGO system caused by the move to Real Time. More cycles = better AI. A blue bar means you can take as many cycles as you need. Real time or instant replay WEGO means you have 1 minute. Get it now?