Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Question about module(s)

Perhaps this will help. Of course when they start the WWII game it will be seperate from CMSF.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

As for what happens when Modules come out... the code changes will be made available to all CM:SF customers. What will not be made available (of course) are the Module specific data, such as TO&E, vehicles, terrain, etc. But things like tweaks to core game behavior and what not will not be restricted.

The goal here is to not fracture the customer base. If we made some change for the Marines Module that affected gameplay, it has to be available to all or suddenly you get into a situation where people with one Module can't play against people without it. That would be a mess.

When a player goes to make a Scenario he'll have to select what Modules it will work with. This will filter the list of units and what not that can be used with that Scenario. Anybody without the Module/s required by the Scenario will not be able to play it. So if I have a Marines Module and I make a Scenario using the "Base Game" only, then everybody will be able to play it. If I select "Marines Module" then only those with the Marines Module will be able to play.

That system should keep fracturing of the user base to an absolute minimum.

Steve

All I heard about it is each module (I think) is going to have its separate .exe, its own splash screen, etc. etc.. So it won't just be a new list of units to play with in the game's editor. I assume it would be sharing the same Data folder. No point in having to duplicate all the stuff that's already in the game.