Cheery Waffles thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for a CMX2 Forum

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Wallybob:

Power's back up here now, and thank God we missed the brunt of the storm!

It's good to know that even with the untimely demise of the late lamented Jim Boggs there's still going to be somebody deserving in the path of hurricanes. Glad you missed out on the storm surge and multiple tornados. With any luck maybe some of your students fared much worse than you. :D:D

Thanks. There are still one whole bunch of folks much worse off than we. My prayers go out to them. In the Birmingham Metro area, there are about 50,000 people still without power, down from a peak of around 200K. Mobile and Western Alabama took a pretty good hit, let alone Mississippi and Louisiana.

The peak power hits were:

Birmingham 226,202

Mobile 198,221

Tuscaloosa 148, 920

Anniston 41,585

Montgomery 19, 512

Euafaula 214

according to Alabama Power.

My students...well there are still Venemous slathers of TNT, right?

Well, no skool tomorrow. Still too many without power. Hmmm. I get to sleep late. If'n I were the Governor of Louisiana, I would order the National Guard types to open up on looters. Belt-fed machine guns, grazing fire. I guess that's why I'm not a Governor. Too little sympathy for A@#holes.

Say a prayer for all of them, they need it, and it couldn't hurt you at all.

Say a prayer for all of them, they need it, and it couldn't hurt you at all.

You're right. One day of horrific weather has turned part of the Gulf Coast into a third world nation. A week ago these people were griping about gas prices for their pickup trucks, and today they have no home, no job, no food, no water, no place to go, no nothing. My concern is with the usual heat and humidity cranking up again, all of the polluted standing water will cause outbreaks of disease. :(:(

Well, no skool tomorrow. Still too many without power. Hmmm. I get to sleep late. If'n I were the Governor of Louisiana, I would order the National Guard types to open up on looters. Belt-fed machine guns, grazing fire. I guess that's why I'm not a Governor. Too little sympathy for A@#holes.

Aye, it takes a special kind of lowlife to steal from people who've already lost everything. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Sergei:

Think of it this way: how do you know that the looters haven't lost everything themselves, and now want to share the burden with others? And if you have enough stuff to be looted, you certainly haven't lost everything.

My mistake. Loot all you want. In fact, I'm sure there's a special place in Heaven for looters. Not quite Saints but pretty close.

(snip)...if you have enough stuff to be looted, you certainly haven't lost everything.

Don't try confusing us with logic! :D:D

I wonder if this may be the event that bursts the US housing bubble. There's an awful lot of residential and commercial property that has suddenly become worthless, and a lot of mortgage payers who have suddenly lost the means to pay. Katrina may continue to affect the financial markets for years. :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by Dave H:

I wonder if this may be the event that bursts the US housing bubble.

I was doing a lot of driving last weekend, getting from place to place for my buddy's wedding (and other related bits) and some talk show schlubs were talking about the 'real estate bubble'. One of those grab-asstic, seal-shagging maggots actually claimed that the whole 'bubble' concept was a myth being promoted by stock brokers to get people back into the stock market. The other two yokels chimed in, agreeing wholeheartedly. {sigh}

I could hear the tinfoil hat crinkling over the radio.

I lied...I did go out drinking last night. Bless my restaurantie friends who provide me with booze. :D

I wonder if this may be the event that bursts the US housing bubble. There's an awful lot of residential and commercial property that has suddenly become worthless, and a lot of mortgage payers who have suddenly lost the means to pay. Katrina may continue to affect the financial markets for years. :eek: :eek:

Oh, come on! That's what hurricane insurances are for. What, all of you don't have one yet?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by _Axe_:

"Shoot the looters."

My thoughts on that subject: "Oh look, here are some precious human beings who miraculously survived the storm. Quick, somebody shoot them."

Inspector Javert has a lot of imitators. :(:( </font>

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

"Oh look, here I miraculously survived the storm. Quick, I need a 50" HDTV and a truckload of Heineken."

Those types are simply religious fundamentalists who take this as a symptom of Apocalypse and want to spend the last days of their lives happily drunk watching tv (it could be a sin, but they reckon at this point the Celestial Bookkeeping Office is too busy to bother with the shiny white lambs any more and concentrate on the fate of the gray ones).

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

"Oh look, here I miraculously survived the storm. Quick, I need a 50" HDTV and a truckload of Heineken."

Those types are simply religious fundamentalists who take this as a symptom of Apocalypse and want to spend the last days of their lives happily drunk watching tv (it could be a sin, but they reckon at this point the Celestial Bookkeeping Office is too busy to bother with the shiny white lambs any more and concentrate on the fate of the gray ones). </font>

Originally posted by _Axe_:

"Shoot the looters."

All I hear in my head when I say that line is The Smiths' "Hang the DJ."

Is having The Smiths' "Hang the DJ" in your head a good or a bad thing? :confused:

Everytime I hear "Shoot the looters", what gets on my mind is Herodotus' story of the conversation between Croesus and Cyrus.

After the Solon episode and Cyrus sparing his life, Croesus, observing the Persian soldiers plunddering Lydia asks Cyrus what they are doing. Cyrus replied that they are plunddering your city and riches, to which Croesus retorts that its not mine but your city and riches...

BTW what's that dry levee song, you know the one that has the line "the day the music died"? Oh I've got it American Pie, that's the song resounding in my head watching cable news. (The origional version, definately not the atrocious Madonna one.) ;)

[ September 02, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]