No MOAB's, I'm sure, but what about...

Znarf

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Not much value at the level CMSF is trying to simulate.

IIRC, the attempted take-out of Saddam at that restaurant was called in by an observer. Think about it - a mission that requires you to locate a bunker, with the objective of calling in a GBU-28. ** Hypothetically ** a job for a small strike force....

The observer was probably a CIA agent. And I still think it's unrealistic. There are probably only a couple dozen GBU28s in the inventory, if that, and they're reserved for strategic targets.

Having them modelled in CMSF is about as useful as having Tomahawks modelled. Simple fact - a company commander wouldn't have access to either.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

..Having them modelled in CMSF is about as useful as having Tomahawks modelled. Simple fact - a company commander wouldn't have access to either.

Hence the emphasis on "hypothetically..." :D

Part of the fun of CM is modelling the unrealistic as well as the realistic. True, it would not be realistic, but it would be cool.

Heck, if one is going to stick to realism, then you must ask youself what fool in the chain of command would put one of us military noobs in charge of a strike force?! If that is the case, then the entire setting is unrealistic! :D

I remember when they were making a big deal about the MOAB test one of my friends pointed out that the Moabites were a tribe from bible times similar to the philistines. Isn't "Philistine" a synonym for someone insensative of culture? So we threated so drop something big and insensative of culture on the Iraqis. I found it amusing at the time, but I had been drinking.

We could make a launder list of fancy weapons systems that probably won't make it into the game due to scale-of-play.

We'll probably get laser guided bombs as one (maybe two) of the Stryker types mounts a laser designator on the roof. Would the player get an estimated time of arrival for air support and laze the target at the appointd time? Hellfire missiles pose a small problem since they'd typically be fired from well outside a CM map's area, so how would a player control them? Stealth fighters? I suppose that would be a night air strike that can't be stopped by AA - some limited utility. Separating out GPS guided munitions from standard implies the ability to send GPS coordinates. Dropping fuel-air explosives on top of minefields would necessitate your troops being far-far-faaaar away from the blast! And CM1 already uses submunition bomblets.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Hellfire missiles pose a small problem since they'd typically be fired from well outside a CM map's area, so how would a player control them?

Why would a player control them? You can't control airstrikes in CM1. You wouldn't be able to control them in CM2 (modern) because as a company or battalion commander, they wouldn't be in your chain of command. I would however expect a much higher degree of coordination via better real-time comms and laser designation, etc.

Michael

I did a search and came up with the following post:

Originally posted by Battlefront.org:

For us the inclusion of the MOAB was a no-brainer! Fact is, we do like to blow up stuff, and this weapon is the first opportunity to do so on the appropriate scale! We were itching to include nukes in CMx1, but we could not find any historical evidence for their use in the ETO. With a contemporary conflict all those concerns can be brushed aside easily.

And we will not stop at that! We anticipate the proliferation of mini-nukes by 2007, so why not make them accessible to the US player on a regular basis! Of course the caveat is that the US automatically looses as soon as it uses one on a Syrian town, but who cares! I am telling you the 3 months that Charles spent to program the particle effects for these babies were not wasted!

They are also the best way to show off the new deformable terrain! Just be careful not to run one of your Strykers in the crater, LOL. By the way we are still discussing on how to make the games including those weapons balanced. We are considering divine intervention at the moment, since - in the end - it is all about religion, yes? Be prepared for megatons of fun!

Stefe

I was a little bit surprised by that, but as long as they bring back the shockwaves, it is fine with me!

Best regards,

Thomm

[ October 18, 2005, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Rollstoy ]

Originally posted by Battlefront.org:

We are considering divine intervention at the moment, since - in the end - it is all about religion, yes? Be prepared for megatons of fun!

Stefe

Im wondering which side has more powerfull divine intervention? Not that it matters, I heard that M1A1 frontal armour is still invulnerable.