Combat Mission: Shock Force Bibliography page now up

Madmatt

Since the announcement of this game we have gotten a lot of requests in email and the forum for our "Best Picks" of books that we think will help gain a deeper appreciation for both modern combat and the types of operations that we will be modeling in Combat Mission: Shock Force. It took us a little while to compile such a list, and get links to purchase them, but we have just posted a brand new Bibliography Page which lists 18 essential reads. My personal recommendation, Thunder Run, by David Zucchino. I can't say enough good things about this one! Every page is packed full of exciting combat between men and machines and presented in a very mature and in-depth way.

Combat Mission: Shock Force Bibliography Page

Madmatt

Let me hijack this thread to throw in some books that might contribute to the psychological modelling of warfare, On Killing and On Combat by Dave Grossman. Especially the latter is must-read material!

Grossman, D., On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society

http://www.killology.com/books.htm

On Combat, by Lt. Col Dave Grossman (with Loren Christensen)

http://www.killology.com/on_combat.htm

Following his best selling, Pulitzer Prize nominated book On Killing, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, with Loren W. Christensen, present On Combat, a ground-breaking examination of what it takes to perform, cope and survive in the toxicity of deadly combat as a soldier in a foreign land, and a police officer in the mean streets of urban America.

Best regards,

Thomm

Another one I just remembered that is excellent is "The Battle of Hunger Hill" by Dan Bolger. Excellent command view of light infantry operations over the course of two rotations through the JRTC at Fort Polk. Lots of lessons learned and lessons applied, all of which are applicable to the infantrymen at the heart of the Stryker brigades.

[ February 15, 2007, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: fytinghellfish ]

• 2 weeks later...

Madmatt, Picked up 'Thunder Run' on your recommendation and I was unable to put it down! What a great (and exciting) read. From the very first page kept me glued to my chair. Well written and really put you there at the front. Anyway, thanks for steering me to this fine book! I highly recommended this book to all.

• 4 weeks later...

Very good read indeed. It clearly shows the advantages of having a wheeled and digitized ICV. It will be interesting to see how it turns out in CMSF when the opposition is more than small arms, RPGs and light mortars.

[ March 27, 2007, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Bonxa ]