Hand to Hand Combat

Is hand to hand combat currently modelled? I was playing "the Race is On" and had an infantry team which was out of all ammo laying in a crater next to an enemy team who apparantely was also out of ammo.

They sat in the crater for a good five minutes before another enemy squad (with ammunition) entered the vicinity and finished by guys off.

This was in 1.04, my squad was able to spot the enemy squad and were not cowering.

I once saw one of my guys empty about five clips from M4 at full auto trying to hit a guy lying on the same balcony about 5m away. He missed. Then he ran out of ammo. It's a shame there is no hand to hand. I had three more guys in that team, and the enemy was all alone. After some time he stopped cowering and started to shoot at my guys. Luckily he was also a lousy shot.

We need hand to hand.

Originally posted by TOG:

I once saw one of my guys empty about five clips from M4 at full auto trying to hit a guy lying on the same balcony about 5m away.

He missed.

Heh, I hope you gave him a bit of training. As in a butt-stock to the chin as an aid to him doing his job properly before he gets somebody besides himself killed.

Soldiers do tend to fight to the death in CMSF. I might be wrong since after some games you often find units unaccountably listed as 'missing' in the after-action report. Not sure if 'missing' equals captured or routed.

I thing that surprised me about the switch to 1:1 representation in CMx1 is close combat seems more... bloodthirsty. Four guys going full auto on a prone infantryman from point blank is a bit harsh. Include hand-to-hand animations and you'll get to see them stomping on the poor guy and sticking him with knives too!

Copied from another thread:

There was a funny incident when a single US soldier out of ammo and a Syrian RPG guy shared the same roof without attacking each other! The RPG guy caused me some major pain! And when I sent in another 3 men HQ team to kill him, he dispatched them with a single round, all the while being watched by the US soldier.

... in this particular case, the lack of hand-to-hand combat cost me dearly, because I lost two vehicles to the mentioned RPG guy!

Best regards,

Thomm

CMx1 had sounds of heads being knocked together. They could do that without the associated animations I guess. We've got to remember though that grappling with someone in a brawl while wearing 40-50 lbs of body armor sounds a bit awkward! On the plus side you're well protected from punches, on the minus side you're about as nimble as a charging rhinoceros.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Sequoia:

Last official answer I could find:

At the moment, what's happening as distance closes is that a) hand grenades fly, B) soldiers use full-auto. It's over real quick. No literal hand-to-hand, and I very much doubt if you'll see it in Game 1.

Martin

That makes sense, given the soldiers can hit anything firing full-auto at that range.