The Manual

is there anyway to lose the awful background to the manual that makes the thing pretty unprintable?

looks nice on screen but completely black A4 pages when printed will just eat up the ink...

why would you do that :eek: , or at least not give a printer friendly version :rolleyes:

You can in fact make a printable version with Acrobat (full) if you feel like and have about an hour or 2 to burn. I once did it with X3 manual. Tricky bit is getting rid of the background pictures as you're more or less reduced to wiping them out one-by-one.

Dunno how BFC and/or Paradox would feel about someone posting such a PDF, thought.

("Lawyers, Lawyers, this is not a drill!" :rolleyes: )

Combat Mission: Shock Force Demo

Filesize: 327 Megabytes

The Combat Mission: Shock Force demo includes two scenarios playable from either the US or Syrian side. The first is a a tutorial to help get your feet wet with the game system and the other is a combined arms battle with Stryker's, Abrams against some tough Syrian Mechanized infantry. All multiplayer modes are active (TCP-IP, PBEM, Hotseat) and you can even access and play with the full Game Editor, but the save function is disabled. In addition to all of that, the pdf version of the full 200+ page manual is also included.

Hmmm. I knew I would not get a printed manual with the 'cheaper' version. I am fine with that.

But I think BFC meant the manual PDF to be on the Paradox cd. As far as I know, Paradox goofed on this one. The manual included in the Paradox box is just VERY skimpy...

Originally posted by PanzerMike:

Hmmm. I knew I would not get a printed manual with the 'cheaper' version. I am fine with that.

But I think BFC meant the manual PDF to be on the Paradox cd, but it is not. As far as I know, Paradox goofed on this one.

The manual included in the Paradox box is just VERY skimpy and can hardly pass for a manual

Edit: Oops, meant to edit not to add another reply. Oh well, you get the picture :)

At least according to the front page info, "standard" BFC shock force does in fact include full printed manual:

Choose from the Standard Edition version which includes the game and 200 page printed manual or a special Deluxe Collectors Edition which includes the game, printed manual plus a full color Combat Mission Mouse Pad with helpful game commands and interface info as well as a 14" x 14" inch color Operational Map of Syria detailing the hypothetical invasion of Syria featured in the game!

That actually makes the BFC edition somewhat attractive, you get printed manual with S&H for 43,60€ or about 15€ more than the cheapest deal online (play.com)

However, Paradox claims the US retail version has leaflet so unless the BFC "standard" is not the same as US boxed version ... ?

[ July 30, 2007, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Barleyman ]

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We'll see what we can do! I've got a printout here and it looks great. However, it wasn't printed on the typical end user $35 inkjet printer and I didn't pay for it, so that's a bit different.

Steve

Yes, it looks great - but the legibility in greyscale is not-so-great - and my toner bill is 'great', too, btw.

I didn't realise it would take weeks to remove the background graphic, and post a printable PDF on the Download Links page. Sorry to be such a bother, but this is very eco-unfriendly, bordering on a terrorist/hostage scenario.(/sarcasm)

It took me about half an hour to go thru process of mouseclick - delete - pagedown

196 times in acrobat (full) to kill the background pictures.

After that I used foxit pdf reader to print the manual with black font.

I suspect to do that would take the guy who used pagemaker to make the original manual about 30 seconds.