I purchased this game from Battlefront upon release and to be honest I was somewhat disappointed.

I had a really hard time getting along with this game and I really tried, but for the most part it ended with me cursing at the screen while seeing my infantry milling around while being slaughtered or my APC doing the dance of death before and RPG took them out of their misery.

Except for the occasional test when a new patch was released frustration and disappointment has kept me from gaming further.

However, yesterday I installed the 1.08 patch and fired up the second scenario Al-something and gave it another try and well, it's the morning after, I am at work now but the fun I had yesterday night playing this game made me forget going to sleep. I even turned down sex with my wife (I need to get my priorities right).

So, it feels to me like Battlefront stuck to their promises and finally produced a product that is well up to the standards of what they have managed earlier. Good work!

Heh, well, my experience is similar, except for the conjugal priorities.

I thought the game was a disgrace on release but, for all its prickliness (well, Steve's) about the product's obvious faults, the team deserves tremendous credit for digging in and fixing the main issues.

I knew I would never be able to live with the quality of vehicle pathfinding found in the initial release and I'm still holding my breath, because Stryker platoons that behave like Keystone Kops are a deal-breaker for me. So far, post 1.07 I'm finding the pathfinding acceptable, albeit a little eccentric at times.

Hey George Mc! I'm having a lot of fun with your Hammertime scenario and was intending to email you about it. The attention to detail is great, ditto the map and the tactical lay of the land. I'm just wondering (since this topic is about CMSF's new-found credibility) whether you intended for Red vehicles at OPs on farms in no man's land to be facing their own rear. No big deal, though. I'm about twenty minutes in, playing Blue, and determined to get my supporting fires sorted before committing myself to move on the objective as I'm sure you have much nastiness in store for me.

Not trying to offer George a “get out of gaol free” card but are they sited in dead ground to make the “clean break” as the OP withdraws possible?

You can save precious minutes by having the vehicles facing the “right” way (i.e. towards the friendly side of the map) but with their turrets facing 6 O’clock.

Yeah, my immersion in the scenario was not affected by this because the vehicles were placed in OPs that might be programmed to withdraw on contact. It was just a little odd that I was able to spot the BMP facing the wrong way and then, unchallenged, sneak up on it and destroy it at close range. That was before my whole battle plan went to ****, however.

Originally posted by 1000 yard stare:

I purchased this game from Battlefront upon release and to be honest I was somewhat disappointed.

I had a really hard time getting along with this game and I really tried, but for the most part it ended with me cursing at the screen while seeing my infantry milling around while being slaughtered or my APC doing the dance of death before and RPG took them out of their misery.

Except for the occasional test when a new patch was released frustration and disappointment has kept me from gaming further.

However, yesterday I installed the 1.08 patch and fired up the second scenario Al-something and gave it another try and well, it's the morning after, I am at work now but the fun I had yesterday night playing this game made me forget going to sleep. I even turned down sex with my wife (I need to get my priorities right).

So, it feels to me like Battlefront stuck to their promises and finally produced a product that is well up to the standards of what they have managed earlier. Good work!

My best regards to the "wargame widow". ;)

Originally posted by Bahger:

Yeah, my immersion in the scenario was not affected by this because the vehicles were placed in OPs that might be programmed to withdraw on contact. It was just a little odd that I was able to spot the BMP facing the wrong way and then, unchallenged, sneak up on it and destroy it at close range. That was before my whole battle plan went to ****, however.

Ah well think how much more it might have gone “pear shaped” if the vehicles were facing away but had a covered arc across your avenue of approach? smile.gif

On second thought, if they aren’t in hull down, probably better from to face you. BMP fuel cells are in the back doors - probably not what you want exposed to the enemy in full view.