Finally!

I played the original CM way back when, and loved it. For some reason I've skipped everything in-between, but Shock Force looks like it will definitely get me back into it.

Anyone remember M1 Tank Platoon by Microprose? I know these are two quite different games, but I've been waiting for a modern tank game for awhile, and the latest screenshot of SF conjured up some old memories of M1 (except extremely better looking than the polygon hell of M1).

Originally posted by Timskorn:

I played the original CM way back when, and loved it. For some reason I've skipped everything in-between, but Shock Force looks like it will definitely get me back into it.

Anyone remember M1 Tank Platoon by Microprose? I know these are two quite different games, but I've been waiting for a modern tank game for awhile, and the latest screenshot of SF conjured up some old memories of M1 (except extremely better looking than the polygon hell of M1).

Watch what you say about my first love...the queen of 3D tactical gaming is not to be mocked openly.

Nothing beat Muzzle Velocity for pure silly fun, though.

566px-Muzzlevelocitybox2.jpg

Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

Well, Steel Beasts is probably what you want then. There's even a pro version out for $125 that you can buy.

Doubtful. The original M-1 Tank Platoon was simplicity personified. And FUN. The sequel, M-1 Tank Platoon II, sucked in comparison.

There are many old games that would benefit from a graphics upgrade but leave the simple physics models and game play alone. The same thing happened with Dynamix's Red Baron - the sequel, Red Baron II, had all the life sucked out of it. Instead of just an upgrade of the graphics, they tried to add oomph to the gameplay, and killed it.

Microprose had some juicy games like KNIGHTS OF THE SKY that were fairly silly - WW I aerial combat where one hit equals a kill - but they had heart, especially the campaigns. KOTS let you challenge other aces to duels, let you track the leading aces of the war in comparison to yourself, spot enemy aces by their distinctive markings. Tons of fun.

Steel Beasts is, if I understand it correctly, one of those hyper-realistic simulators for tanks - sorta like Fighting Falcon was for the F-16? With a manual thicker than the phone book and a keyboard control legend because just about every key on the board got used?

Same thing happened with fantasy games; would have loved to see the original gold box AD&D games given a simple graphics upgrade, as the game play was pretty cool. That never happened either.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Doubtful. The original M-1 Tank Platoon was simplicity personified. And FUN. The sequel, M-1 Tank Platoon II, sucked in comparison.

There are many old games that would benefit from a graphics upgrade but leave the simple physics models and game play alone. The same thing happened with Dynamix's Red Baron - the sequel, Red Baron II, had all the life sucked out of it. Instead of just an upgrade of the graphics, they tried to add oomph to the gameplay, and killed it.

Microprose had some juicy games like KNIGHTS OF THE SKY that were fairly silly - WW I aerial combat where one hit equals a kill - but they had heart, especially the campaigns. KOTS let you challenge other aces to duels, let you track the leading aces of the war in comparison to yourself, spot enemy aces by their distinctive markings. Tons of fun.

Steel Beasts is, if I understand it correctly, one of those hyper-realistic simulators for tanks - sorta like Fighting Falcon was for the F-16? With a manual thicker than the phone book and a keyboard control legend because just about every key on the board got used?

Same thing happened with fantasy games; would have loved to see the original gold box AD&D games given a simple graphics upgrade, as the game play was pretty cool. That never happened either.

Oh my fu...

Did you scoop out my brain with an icecream spoon and put them down in your post? I agree a gazillion %!

Ah, MicroProse! If there was ever a computer game brand that practically guaranteed superb gaming, that was it (and BFC of course).

Did you ever play "Wings"? It was another silly WW1 flightsim with some very early 3D air combat, mixed with 2D strafing missions. Absolutely brilliant and stupendously simple.

Respectfully

luderbamsen

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Timskorn:

Watch what you say about my first love...the queen of 3D tactical gaming is not to be mocked openly.

Nothing beat Muzzle Velocity for pure silly fun, though.

566px-Muzzlevelocitybox2.jpg </font>

another quite good game ahead of its time was Campaign. you had a strategic/operational level map in which you gave commands to units and when a battle took place you could command individual vehicles in 3D battles. back then it was real impressive, the whole scale and detailed stuff like seeing CAS planes in the 3D battles.

strategic level:

pic.php?id=YzJOeVpXVnVjMmh2ZEM4eU9UQXhMVE13TURBdk1qa3hORjl6WTNKbFpXNDFOeTV3Ym1jPTZlVjRRMkZ0Y0dGcFoyNGdMU0JUWTNKbFpXNXphRzkwSUc2d05UYz02ZVY0TXpJdzZlVjRNalUyNmVWNGMyTnlaV1Z1YzJodmRDOHlPVEF4TFRNd01EQXZNamt4TkY5elkzSmxaVzQxTnk1cWNHYz02ZVY0TVRZdzZlVjRSMFE9

battle, tactical overview:

pic.php?id=YzJOeVpXVnVjMmh2ZEM4eU9UQXhMVE13TURBdk1qa3hORjl6WTNKbFpXNHhPUzV3Ym1jPTZlVjRRMkZ0Y0dGcFoyNGdMU0JUWTNKbFpXNXphRzkwSUc2d01Uaz02ZVY0TXpJdzZlVjRNalUyNmVWNGMyTnlaV1Z1YzJodmRDOHlPVEF4TFRNd01EQXZNamt4TkY5elkzSmxaVzR4T1M1cWNHYz02ZVY0TVRZdzZlVjRSMFE9

battle,commanding an individual vehicle:

pic.php?id=YzJOeVpXVnVjMmh2ZEM4eU9UQXhMVE13TURBdk1qa3hORjl6WTNKbFpXNHlOQzV3Ym1jPTZlVjRRMkZ0Y0dGcFoyNGdMU0JUWTNKbFpXNXphRzkwSUc2d01qUT02ZVY0TXpJdzZlVjRNalUyNmVWNGMyTnlaV1Z1YzJodmRDOHlPVEF4TFRNd01EQXZNamt4TkY5elkzSmxaVzR5TkM1cWNHYz02ZVY0TVRZdzZlVjRSMFE9

control stuff within battle:

pic.php?id=YzJOeVpXVnVjMmh2ZEM4eU9UQXhMVE13TURBdk1qa3hORjl6WTNKbFpXNHhOaTV3Ym1jPTZlVjRRMkZ0Y0dGcFoyNGdMU0JUWTNKbFpXNXphRzkwSUc2d01UWT02ZVY0TXpJdzZlVjRNalUyNmVWNGMyTnlaV1Z1YzJodmRDOHlPVEF4TFRNd01EQXZNamt4TkY5elkzSmxaVzR4Tmk1cWNHYz02ZVY0TVRZdzZlVjRSMFE9

some vehicle stats:

pic.php?id=YzJOeVpXVnVjMmh2ZEM4eU9UQXhMVE13TURBdk1qa3hORjl6WTNKbFpXNDBPUzV3Ym1jPTZlVjRRMkZ0Y0dGcFoyNGdMU0JUWTNKbFpXNXphRzkwSUc2d05Eaz02ZVY0TXpJdzZlVjRNalUyNmVWNGMyTnlaV1Z1YzJodmRDOHlPVEF4TFRNd01EQXZNamt4TkY5elkzSmxaVzQwT1M1cWNHYz02ZVY0TVRZdzZlVjRSMFE9

unit stats:

pic.php?id=YzJOeVpXVnVjMmh2ZEM4eU9UQXhMVE13TURBdk1qa3hORjl6WTNKbFpXNDFNeTV3Ym1jPTZlVjRRMkZ0Y0dGcFoyNGdMU0JUWTNKbFpXNXphRzkwSUc2d05UTT02ZVY0TXpJdzZlVjRNalUyNmVWNGMyTnlaV1Z1YzJodmRDOHlPVEF4TFRNd01EQXZNamt4TkY5elkzSmxaVzQxTXk1cWNHYz02ZVY0TVRZdzZlVjRSMFE9

pic.php?id=YzJOeVpXVnVjMmh2ZEM4eU9UQXhMVE13TURBdk1qa3hORjl6WTNKbFpXNHpPUzV3Ym1jPTZlVjRRMkZ0Y0dGcFoyNGdMU0JUWTNKbFpXNXphRzkwSUc2d016az02ZVY0TXpJdzZlVjRNalUyNmVWNGMyTnlaV1Z1YzJodmRDOHlPVEF4TFRNd01EQXZNamt4TkY5elkzSmxaVzR6T1M1cWNHYz02ZVY0TVRZdzZlVjRSMFE9