Future Combat Systems: 2005 Movie

I saw a few FCS videos at IITSEC this year. This particular one is the best so far. One of the other ones showed the US Army in China (possibly North Korea) where one element got held up at a bridge by one man with an RPG on the far side. He knocked out one vehicle, IIRC, so the US commander sends an armed UGV out onto the bridge as a decoy while the rest of his force provides overwatch. The UGV got hammered, the RPG soldier got tagged and the US continued on with it's mission.

The lesson I got was one man with an RPG can singlehandedly wreck some $20 million worth of US vehicles. :rolleyes: Not the best propaganda I've ever seen...

Buq-Buq (a grog name if ever there was one!),

Thanks for the link! That was pretty interesting and, frankly, was better than I dared hope, especially since my dad worked on some of the early FCS concept vehicles himself. Stephen Coonts put out a terrific future combat anthology called COMBAT which features FCS tech in one of the stories. I highly recommend it.

fytinghellfish,

Now, that was both funny and devastatingly on point. As for all those lovely interlocked electronics, I say FRRRRAAAPPP!!!! Sooner or later, we're going to encounter a foe with one or more effective counters for all that high tech on which we're so critically dependent.

Regards,

John Kettler

John Kettler Said:-

Sooner or later, we're going to encounter a foe with one or more effective counters for all that high tech on which we're so critically dependent.
As you probably know it's called EMP! The Chinese allegedly have a battlefield weapon nearing the end of its development - just hope it's from the same smoke-and-mirrors source who brought us the wonder weapon red-mercury in the mid 1990's!

However, at some point a tactical EMP device will hit the streets and if the developed world want to go on winning wars then mission tactics, combined arms and manoeuvre warfare are going to have to rely on some really professional, dynamic junior leader over spilling with initiative and drive if things are not going to descend into chaos and a break down in command and control!