Stryker Thermal Imaging not working?

z1812

Hi All,

As a report it seems that the strykers cannot see through smoke. I had 3 Stryker MGS attack a single T-72. I moved them up a rise and before going to hull down position fired smoke. They moved into position perfectly. But they did not see the t-72's or did not fire on them.

The t-72 did not move. I thought i would just let the smoke clear and see what happened. The strykers did fire half heartedly but were all killed. I must conclude, since the Strykers fired after the smoke cleared, that they could not see through the smoke.

Regards John

Hi All

the following is directly from BFC's blog on Strykers:

" Smoke grenade launchers attached to the RWS can be fired to interfere with various enemy threats. The thermal imager allows the Stryker crew to see through the smoke it generates."

From the horses mouth.

Regards John

I experienced the same thing in the first campaign mission. Not only the strikers the M1A1SA that was with 2x Strykers. All 3 vehicles had their LOS blocked when one of the strykers popped smoke. They were all unable to area target a building 20m away.

Target line showed color change to blocked LOS as soon as it hit the smoke

Depends on whose smoke it is.

US Smoke grenades also are IR blockers.

The Marine Corps Systems Command (MCSC), Program Manager for Ammunition, desires the acquisition and qualification of non-development improvements to the existing 66mm, M76 Infrared (IR) Smoke Grenade. The improved smoke grenade shall contain energetic components that meet U.S. environmental standards both before and after initiation of the smoke grenade as well as producing visual and IR screening capability. The developed grenade shall have the capability of being loaded, fired and unloaded from the standard U.S. ?M6 Type?66mm smoke grenade launchers. No modification to the grenade launchers is permissible. It is desired that the contractor: (1) Have a non-developmental 66mm IR Smoke Grenade designed to demonstrate and produce a cloud capable of obstructing a host vehicle from threat visual and IR optics; (2) The 66mm IR Smoke Grenade must have the capability to function with no degradation in performance under environmental conditions of hot, cold, and ambient temperatures when fired; (3) Have the capability of firing from the existing M6 ?Type? 66mm vehicle mounted Grenade Dischargers and not alter the transportation and storage requirements of utilizing vehicles; (4) Have the capability to meet all U. S. Government and Military storage requirements / restrictions normally imposed on storage of similar munitions; (5) Have existing production tooling / line capable of producing approximately 16,000 Grenades per month after initial start up; (6) Have the technical expertise and facilities to conduct standard NATO safety, Insensitive Munitions (IM), transportation, hazard classification, environmental and HERO/ESD tests prior to delivery of qualification samples. The Sources Sought Number is M67854-04-R-1051. Interested Parties should reply by submitting a written proposal no later than 30 April 2004 to Commanding General, Marine Corps Systems Command, Attn: Code 2041, 2200 Lester Street, Quantico, VA. 22134. Questions may be submitted in writing to the above address, or email to wrightdm@mcsc.usmc.mil. Interested Parties who are willing to provide test assets of a proposed design, at no cost to the USMC for testing should so indicate in the submitted white paper. No further information is available from the Procuring Office.

Rune

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to answer Erwin. But as BFC says in their Stryker blog.

" Smoke grenade launchers attached to the RWS can be fired to interfere with various enemy threats. The thermal imager allows the Stryker crew to see through the smoke it generates."

So, in view of the above, it really would be nice to have Battlefront confirm the effects of smoke to the Stryker.

Regards John