Fog and ATI Radeon cards?

Originally posted by JC_Hare:

It would be nice to get some feedback on this issue. I hope it will be coded in Open GL.

I figure it will be since, they have to use OpenGL to make the Mac version. It would be crazy, IMO, to make two different codes this time around.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Eh... I think fog in CMx2 will be done with a different technique - not the old table fog as in CMx1, which ATI is no longer compatible with.

The inability to display fog table fog on ATI cards is not a hardware issue. It is only broken in Direct3D (DirectX), but it works on the same hardware in OpenGL (all Platforms) and Rave (MacOS 9).

So you can safely use fog table fog as long as you use OpenGL. Unlike Microsoft who don't defend their DirectX brand by enforcing complete implementation the OpenGL people would actually not allow ATI to use the OpenGL compliance logo if they just skipped a feature.