Getting some attention.....

At least people are paying attention to this game....

"There's another game that just came out called Combat Mission: Shock Force. Shock Force features armed insurgents in the Middle East attacking US troops with IEDs and car bombs. But it's set in Syria. I'm constantly reminded of this fact by a unit info box that identifies the insurgents as "Syrian." This means -- so long as we don't invade Syria -- that I don't have to relate this to reality in any way. Plus, the AI is absolutely bonkers, doing all sorts of crazy things that make no sense, have no bearing on actual military actions, and further reinforce the point that this isn't reality. Fantasy games like Shock Force serve as effective escapism, unlike games about teenage suicide like Persona 3."

After reading the whole article, I think he was simply saying that he could play CM:SF just for fun and not have to dwell on teenage suicide, etc. I don't think escapism is a code word for anything negative in the article. He wants to play games to get away from real world issues.

What exactly is so evil about that? Or was it just that it was Tom Chick saying it?

There is no sense of a campaign with no affect on the war outcome (just linked missions with no carry over), so I don't understand why we didn't get units from different Arab countries and let the player decide who fights who. Limiting the red side to just Syria just never made any sense.

bonkers AI - Is the new term for tank dancing?

Seems he doesn't quite know what he's talking about. He says you can tell that Persona 3 is made for kids because it's anime.

Any fan of anime (even a casual fan like me) will tell you that anime is NOT necessarily for kids. I've seen some stuff that makes a Quentin Tarantino film look like Disney.