Suggestions for the next time out

When Battlefront is done with Afrika Korps and starts work on the next CM game, I would like to submit the following suggestions:

Paratroops that actually descend onto the battlefield

Horse, bicycle and motorcycle units

A campaign game in which you play the role of a battalion CO, and have to look after your units. Survivors might gain experience. This would make you care about your units' welfare. The campaign could go on for as long as you like, a series of QB's. I really liked that about Steel Panthers!

Battlefield promotions for units that have performed worthy deeds (could be just simply racking up a large number of kills).

Oh well. I love this game.

:D

Currently, when a unit detects enemy forces, all friendly units can see it. That is, if a squad sees enemy infantry at, say, 100m, then a friendly, buttoned tank at 1000m will automatically see it also, and be able to target it. People here refer to this as "borg spotting". With relative spotting, this would be corrected, because a unit would only be able to target what he could see in reality.

I don't find this to be a big issue. For me, better arty and aircraft modelling is top priority.

Originally posted by SumpterBeast:

When Battlefront is done with Afrika Korps and starts work on the next CM game, I would like to submit the following suggestions:

A campaign game in which you play the role of a battalion CO, and have to look after your units. Survivors might gain experience. This would make you care about your units' welfare. The campaign could go on for as long as you like, a series of QB's. I really liked that about Steel Panthers!

Battlefield promotions for units that have performed worthy deeds (could be just simply racking up a large number of kills).

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

DO not turn this game into just another fantasy WW2 game.

Please go and read some of the older post explaining why horses, motobikes, parachutes etc are a bad idea. and as for gaining experience in a battle - I think if you read the manual you'll find the programmers opinions about that.

Originally posted by klapton:

Currently, when a unit detects enemy forces, all friendly units can see it. That is, if a squad sees enemy infantry at, say, 100m, then a friendly, buttoned tank at 1000m will automatically see it also, and be able to target it.

Er, not precisely. When one unit spots an enemy unit, all friendly units are aware of it. In order to be able to target it, they still have to be able to draw a valid LoS to it and spot it. They still couldn't see it through smoke, dust, or opaque terrain.

Michael

Yes thats what I have had issues with before this "all knowning eye" that makes everyone aware of a unit. For instance you have three tanks advancing and a platoon also have their orders to advance, enemy snipers shoots at lead tank, within seconds all the units have precisely targeted the unit and opened up fire (obviously LOS is needed as mentioned).

In real life if given the order to "follow tracer" then yes you would open up on the position, but the above is unrealistic for

1) If a platoon cmdr is given orders to advance across ground to a position, unless his advance is directly threatened he wont stop to fire at some area where a tank tracer is going

2) Theres no way a tank commander (unless say 10m away) would be able to communicate a target to infantry, even to other tanks I expect the lag in following tracer, finding the general position of the target then visually finding it for oneself would be far greater than is currently modelled. Likewise how on earth does a infantry unit communicate exact location of enemy to other inf units let alone armour or vehicles

Regarding the initial posts, paradrops sounds unrealistic. I dont know of any knowing drop of troops in to hot territory as it would be too risky. Of course there were night drops etc into enemy territory and landings say in Market Garden into realtively safe drop zones, but none into a raging battlefield. If implemented the men would be so spread out all over the place, you would spend half the battle collecting weapons and re-grouping.

I would like to see some form of campagin linking of battles, not in the present form where a battle is spread over a few days, but maybe a "career" mode. It would be a series of battles over say the course of a year or maybe a number. For instance start off on the East front in battles with the commies, then get reposted to the west for some R&R and have to fight to drive the D-day landings back! You could then see platoons rise to say crack then get decimated, filled with OAPs and drop back down to green etc. Im sure adding some tracking or report screen to give details of all the battles a unit has been in and some say generated figure of original members would be music to everyones ears. Give a field day to all the grogs too to create the careers of various Rgts or Division through the war.

A nice idea would be to also link the career files together with other players so say I played a 2 SS PZ career file, I could find all the players who have units that fought them in one of the "career files" and then fight them one by one, they of course would continue with their own indpendent "career file" and move onto another opponent after etc. Of course there are parts of the war when entire Divisions were destroyed so you would obviously have to come to an end maybe if the career designer has made it so, but the idea would be to maybe in preceding battles build up a strong group of units and go out in a blaze of glory. This is obviously very utopian and I dont expect any of it to be put in place as it sounds rather complicated!

Originally posted by SumpterBeast:

These are all great suggestions, but to get Steve to seriously consider them you'll need to get more support from the members, especially the old timers.

My suggestion: pitch your ideas here.

Good luck!

Yes thats what I have had issues with before this "all knowning eye" that makes everyone aware of a unit.
Are just talking about "borg spotting", because I distinguish that from the "all-knowing commander" problem? Some people like the "all-knowing commander" situation, but I hope that the next CM engine has some options to limit what information the player (the "all-knowing commander") receives.

Or are you talking about Sauron?

Originally posted by Horncastle:

I would like to see some form of campagin linking of battles, not in the present form where a battle is spread over a few days, but maybe a "career" mode. It would be a series of battles over say the course of a year or maybe a number. For instance start off on the East front in battles with the commies, then get reposted to the west for some R&R and have to fight to drive the D-day landings back! You could then see platoons rise to say crack then get decimated, filled with OAPs and drop back down to green etc. Im sure adding some tracking or report screen to give details of all the battles a unit has been in and some say generated figure of original members would be music to everyones ears. Give a field day to all the grogs too to create the careers of various Rgts or Division through the war.

A nice idea would be to also link the career files together with other players so say I played a 2 SS PZ career file, I could find all the players who have units that fought them in one of the "career files" and then fight them one by one, they of course would continue with their own indpendent "career file" and move onto another opponent after etc. Of course there are parts of the war when entire Divisions were destroyed so you would obviously have to come to an end maybe if the career designer has made it so, but the idea would be to maybe in preceding battles build up a strong group of units and go out in a blaze of glory. This is obviously very utopian and I dont expect any of it to be put in place as it sounds rather complicated!

I like these ideas, but more in conjunction with a hypothetical/hope-somebody-will-make-it CMX2 campaign extension than with a future release of CM. By campaign extension, I mean an operational game that would interface with CM to make tactical battles. Something similar to what Shogun: Total War and Star Wars Rebellion tried to do - but much much much much better.

::Edited because I cant remember the exact name of that Shogun game - oh well.::

[ October 02, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: David Chapuis ]

Ok well since we're going up in the scope let's also tack on the bottom of the barrel. I'd like to double clcik on any unit and then drill down to where I'm the actual guy or tank cerw. Use either the BF1942, or DOD engine (better) for infantry combat and the Steel Beasts engine for tank combat and while you're at it, interface it with il2 Sturmovik Forgotten battles too.

There ya go, now you can be a general or a private!

;)

Los

Ok well since we're going up in the scope let's also tack on the bottom of the barrel. I'd like to double clcik on any unit and then drill down to where I'm the actual guy or tank cerw. Use either the BF1942, or DOD engine (better) for infantry combat and the Steel Beasts engine for tank combat and while you're at it, interface it with il2 Sturmovik Forgotten battles too.

There ya go, now you can be a general or a private!

I like that. You could get about 200 friends together and interface into a game like battlefield 1942 - but much more realistic version - and fight it out that way. Why stop there? Why not get into some of those Star Trek Virtual Reality machines (what are they called -im not a treky) and just fight it out there.

Originally posted by melb_will:

Weren't the Polish Airborne dropped into a hot LZ in Arnhem.

I don't think so, but it's been a while since the last time I read something on this so my recall may be less than complete. But they dropped on the south side of the river and AIR without incident.

My source is a certain computer game, which will get me howled out of here...
Yeah, you have to watch out about quoting games as sources of information. There is a wide variation among game designers in diligence of research. And even if they have accurate information in sufficient quantity, working it into the game is an art that not everyone has equal access to.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Er, not precisely. When one unit spots an enemy unit, all friendly units are aware of it. In order to be able to target it, they still have to be able to draw a valid LoS to it and spot it. They still couldn't see it through smoke, dust, or opaque terrain.

[/QB]

That's what I was referring to, actually. Besides, having motorbikes would be a nice touch, and not difficult to implement at all. Horses are another matter, because it is hard to fire or take cover from the saddle, and thus, unless the riders dismount, they have little combat value.

These are all great suggestions, but to get Steve to seriously consider them you'll need to get more support from the members, especially the old timers

I would be quite surprised if that is the way Steve et al decide what to put on their games.

Personally, i'd like a good combination of game types in one game. i'd love to see a game in which I could command a national force (each unit is division sized) where i could drill down to the tactical. For instance, there are two good divisions in contact with one another. in the strategic level game there is a little smoke and noise and then one or another or neither retreats and the other follows. Cool as far as it goes. i'd like to be able to move down a level or two or three and take that divisional battle (just a small part of the overall campaign) and fight as one battalion against the other guy's battalion, and have the results influence the larger, strategic level game. ideally, players around the world could participate, some as 3 star generals, some as 90 day wonder squad leaders who get killed in their first combat. Over time, the low level leaders could advance up the chain of command, etc.

Supplies could also be a big problem for the commanding units. it could be soooooo deep!

Wouldn't that be cool? (If I explained that well enough to be understood?)

You are into monster games, aren't you Howard? :D

I remember a few years ago playing Dungeon Keeper II. It was primarily a top down 3-d game too, but it was real-time strategy rather than turn-based. The feature that I thought was really neat was you could "possess" one of your minions and see through his eyes. You took him over, conducted combat through him and influenced battles, etc. The melding of 1st person and rts was fun.

I am sure that the old wargaming conservatives would tie me to a stake and get out the lighter fluid before they would let something like that happen to CM though.

I still think it would be neat to see through a soldier's eyes during the movie portion of the turn at least...

As far as the descending paras go, you can simulate it like DingoBreath describes, but that's not very exciting.

Weren't the Polish Airborne dropped into a hot LZ in Arnhem.
Technically, it's a DZ; and if anybody doubts if paratroops dropped directly into firefights, look no further than the 505 PIR at St Mere Eglise.