Mac Radeon 9000 Pro and Radeon 8500

Does anyone use these cards to play CMBB? I was thinking of upgrading my GeForce4 MX (which doesnt seem to work with CM) which came with my Dual Ghz quicksilver model. Does anyone know of any issues with these cards and my setup? I am selling the computer with my original Radeon that works great with CM and I dont want to get "stuck".

I am leaning toward getting the Radeon 8500.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Radeon 8500 Mac Edition. It supports fog. BUT, it does NOT support transparent smoke. Basically, all smoke and dust effects (gun blasts, artillery explosions, smoke from fire, dust from collapsed buildings) is completely opaque (looks like "Fast, Compatible Smoke" is turned on even when it isn't.

On the whole, though, I like the card. The smoke is annoying, mainly because if you're in a low camera view the smoke of a gun blast can completely obscure what's going on for several seconds. But the textures are very nice and performance is crisp. I still live in hope that someday ATI will fix the problem (I assume it's driver related) but I'm not holding my breath.

FYI, I was using an old Radeon Rage Orion prior to this. It supported transparent smoke just fine; unfortunately it was lacking in texture memory (major downsampling) and framerate was low.

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

I have a Radeon 8500 Mac Edition. It supports fog. BUT, it does NOT support transparent smoke. Basically, all smoke and dust effects (gun blasts, artillery explosions, smoke from fire, dust from collapsed buildings) is completely opaque (looks like "Fast, Compatible Smoke" is turned on even when it isn't.

On the whole, though, I like the card. The smoke is annoying, mainly because if you're in a low camera view the smoke of a gun blast can completely obscure what's going on for several seconds. But the textures are very nice and performance is crisp. I still live in hope that someday ATI will fix the problem (I assume it's driver related) but I'm not holding my breath.

FYI, I was using an old Radeon Rage Orion prior to this. It supported transparent smoke just fine; unfortunately it was lacking in texture memory (major downsampling) and framerate was low.

I find it odd that my original Mac Radeon (pre-7000) supports transparent smoke just fine, and your 8500 does not. Its hard to believe that the more advanced card wouldn't have all the features as my old Radeon.

I am running 9.2.2 on a G4 500 AGP.

I really need to sell the computer, but if I lose transparency in CMBB I will just have to bite the bullet and keep the machine (a $700 CMBB rig, yay!). These reports of Radeon and 8500's and 9000 Pro's not supporting transparency are disturbing.

Perhaps official battlefront commentary?

Do you think they will notice if I do a full install of CMBB at my Apple Store? ;)