CM Crashes!

I have experienced my first CTD with CM. I set up a test scenario in order to test Fighter-Bombers and American 240mm arty (heee). Each time i went through the "scenario," it crashed at about the same place. Right as a 240mm shell hit the earth i got a Windows error beep and BAM - teh game locked for 5 sec or so then crashed to desktop with the following message:

DDHELP caused an invalid page fault in

module DSOUND.DLL at 015f:beb14908.

Registers:

EAX=25ef1faa CS=015f EIP=beb14908 EFLGS=00010202

EBX=83fd1834 SS=0167 ESP=00bffee4 EBP=00bfff04

ECX=843d100c DS=0167 ESI=83fd1b1c FS=3dd7

EDX=00bfff00 ES=0167 EDI=00000001 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

ff 90 80 00 00 00 c2 08 00 8b 49 18 ff 74 24 04

Stack dump:

00000001 00bfff00 beb14382 00000001 00bfff00 83fd1b1c 83fd1b1c 00000001 00bfff40 beb14333 00000001 83bd124c beb11121 00000000 83bd10c8 83bd105c

I have a p3-600, 128meg, Elsa Erazor X (SDR), Vortex sq2500 sound, DX 7.0a

Oh, i also continue to hear the last sound from the game when back in Windows (IOW, i am listening now to the hum of Panther and Tiger engines). Can't turn it off without a full reboot.

Preacher

It looks like your DirectX sound driver is crashing (Direct Sound). I would suggest running Scandisk on your system, reinstalling DirectX 7.0a and then reinstalling the latest Aureal 2.0 sound drivers:

http://support.a3d.com/downloads/index.htm

Download the w9x2048_NODEMO.zip file (about 11Mb)

This website has some FAQs, etc. about Aureal Vortex cards:

http://www.vortexofsound.com/techhelp/helpv2-02.htm

After reinstalling DirectX 7.0a you may want to reinstall your video drivers just to avoid the possibility of problems. This is the Elsa website and you'll have to navigate to get to the Elsa Erasor X drivers:

http://www.elsa.com/AMERICA/WELCOME.HTM

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 06-24-2000).]

I was having a similar problem with CM. When the heavy artillery started to fall, I would get a beep, and then my machine would lock. It happened only after installing the Madmatt mods. When the mods were gone, CM was rock solid. I upgraded my video card to a TNT2, 32 megs, but it still locked up ocassionally. I'm gonna play around with the mods and determine which one is causing my problem. I might not install all of them.

a-antto.

Just confirming the problem with MDMP.

It worked fine in quick battles without arty, but as soon as I tried one with airstrikes I got the blue screen of death.

I reinstalled the old sounds and the problem ceased. Madmatt's sounds must be too rich for my machine. smile.gif

My guess is that it's one of the sounds in the modpack just because of the error text. I don't understand how it could be causing problems, I have a SB Live card, 128megs of ram and 450mghz processor. I reinstalled directX 7a and I'll see if that helps. If we could pinpoint the file we could remove it and keep the others smile.gif

Guest Madmatt

I have an idea. The 240mm arty uses the wave file 00000219.wav and the straffing planes use 00000801.wav and 00000802.wav Replace JUST THOSE files from the CM CD over on top of the Mod Pack. See if the game still crashes for you guys. If it doesn't then I think I know what may be causing it and it will be a simple fix. If the game continues to crash PLEASE email me immediately and I will continue to try and figure out what may be causing this...

Thanks!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-25-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Hmm, very odd. In the entire time I was testing and using those sounds (well over a month now) I had about a dozen people testing them with me and NO ONE was getting any crashes.

Is there commanality here? Are you all using the same sound card or drivers perhaps???

I am on a SoundBlaster Live with the Liveware 3 drivers installed.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Madmatt

One last thing. Comabt Mission is really good about capturing data when it crashes and it creates a file at the root of your CM folder called Errorlog.txt. Could all of you that are getting crashes that might be MDMP related PLEASE forward that to me so I can have a look and see if I can troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

I am using a Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V with latest SB drivers. I have a P2 350 with 64MB of RAM and a Prophet 3D GeForce video card.

I don't get an error log because, I assume, I have to restart my computer with CTL-ALT-DEL. The error message indicates, though, that it is a DirectSound problem. I am using DirectX 7a.

Hope this helps.

No Errorlog.txt file in the Cmbo dir,when my lockups occur,i get the "blue screen of death" saying "An error occured at 0028:C1891E97 in VxD DSOUND(03) + 00009607 called from 0028:C16EC97F in VxD DSOUND(01) + 0000065F",I then can CTRL+ALT+DEL,get popup box and close CM app.I reboot PC and still get then same,especially when arty explosions are going off(playing Maastricht-Tough scn,downloaded from Gamers Net)doesnt appear that scn is problem.Things had been going fine for 20+ hrs of game play,now this problem keeps reoccuring.I have Direct 7.0a & latest drivers for SB Live! card(sblw9xup).Tried to get Live Ware,but it would not download from site.Will try that again and see if i can make it go.

Guest Madmatt

Guys, please email me direct and I will provide you with a wav file that MAY fix the problem...

Needs to be tested...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Madmatt

Ok, Charles has had a look at the game code and THINKS he may of discovered something which would have lead to a system crash.

Can you guys confirm that this crash occurs during plane straffing runs?

Does it ever occur when there are NO planes or Artillery?

Combat Mission doesn't like sound effects over 1 meg (1024k) or 11.88 seconds in length. The two strafing sounds (00000801 and 802) were just a tad too close for comfort and I have sense trimmed them down.

I am still not sure why the arty sound would cause a crash but I re-did that sound as well just to be safe. I will post a patch on the MDMP-1 page with these revised sounds later tonight and then we will see what happens...

Madmatt...

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-25-2000).]