The games biggest weakness for me

PoppinHobbit

The system requirements. I have a 6600gt 128mb and I run at 1280x1024 but I turned terrain detail to medium, distance 2 notches down, particles off, ambient sound off, vegetation off, smoke off, shadows off. It runs okay but in heavy action it still stutters sometimes. It isn't often but when it does I think for a few seconds the game has frozen then I see my tank with the turrent only then if I back up again behind a hill it works again.

I like the tank combat with the variety of different vehicles. I like the physics and how hover vehicles plop down to stabilize as a firing platform...etc etc. I just wish I could run the game smoothly in some way.

Originally posted by PoppinHobbit:

The system requirements. I have a 6600gt 128mb and I run at 1280x1024 but I turned terrain detail to medium, distance 2 notches down, particles off, ambient sound off, vegetation off, smoke off, shadows off. It runs okay but in heavy action it still stutters sometimes. It isn't often but when it does I think for a few seconds the game has frozen then I see my tank with the turrent only then if I back up again behind a hill it works again.

I'm a bit surprised that you are having difficulties. I'm running on a 6800GT 256Mb at 1280x1024, everything turned on, 2xAntialias and the frame rate is fine for me. My CPU is an AMD64 3400+ which was quick when I bought it :) I'll test my frame rate...

Today's games had some lag and my controls seemed to be having problems. Many times my infantry marines seemed to spin when I was trying to jump...making the jumps very erratic. My ATG accuracy seemed way off too.

Lots of billowing smoke does seem to cause problems. I suggest that the damage and wreckage modelling change so that not every killed vehicle burns and produces so much smoke. Just some kills. I think that would help alot. In CM, most KIA vehicles do not burn.

I also think that wrecks should stay there permanently and not "vanish". I think they should remain as obstacles.

My biggest complaint is that the bots spot infantry too easily and target them too accurately. Bots routinely nail marines with a 120mm shot while in flight. Try that.

Some more close terrain maps would be more fun for players like me playing infantry. Even the swamp map is like a golf course.

I think I would agree that smoke seems to be the biggest indicator. I can run 60fps with all options off or 30-40 with most all on except high texturing...but both share the stutters (which although troublesome, which is why they are worth noting, are rare) mostly with the cause seeming to be fog or actually artillery screen shake seems to do it sometimes for me.

Originally posted by Toby Haynes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

Some more close terrain maps would be more fun for players like me playing infantry. Even the swamp map is like a golf course.

Are you asking for maps with a short line-of-sight? Lots of undulations to hide tank/infantry in? </font>

Originally posted by poesel71:

[QB] If it were not for the splashing effect, the swamp map is heaven for inf.

Heh. In my very first game I had a unit killed by inf. on that map.

"Arg! What are those little mushrooms falling from the sky?"

"Arg! What was that noise!?"

IIRC it was IG. smile.gif

Originally posted by poesel71:

If it were not for the splashing effect, the swamp map is heaven for inf. You can't see into 'water' so inf can go anywhere unseen. Ok, you can't see the enemy too, but they usually have a blip while you don't. smile.gif

True, the water would be great infiltration routes, except for that splashing. You can see that from very far away.

More trees are needed on the hills too...or something. Maybe some ravines and stuff to use. The swamp map now is a flooded golf course with a few trees. If there was more draws and ditches, stuff the infantry can use to approach, I would like that.