Beta version of Scenario Editor Released to Public!

Madmatt

October 18th, 2006

Beta version of Scenario Editor Released

TBG Software and Battlefront.com are thrilled to announce the release of a public beta version of the full featured Scenario Editor for "DropTeam"!

This brand new Scenario editor allows for the creation of entirely new worlds, maps and missions, including Physical Properties, Skybox, Ambient Sounds, Particle Emitters, Elevation Data, Textures, Terrain Types, Fluids, Game Types and Objects and more.

EditorShot_tn.jpg

This takes the already powerful physics engine to new heights and allows players to create brand new maps of up to 1000 square kilometers, including all deformable terrain, its own unique physics (gravitation, atmosphere.) and more! Dropteam is already using XML files for modding and reads data from professional GIS (Geographic Information Systems) packages such as ArcGIS and Terragen, and as such is becoming one of the most extensively moddable game packages available. An expansion to the Sci-Fi themed base game covering World War Two is already planned.

The Scenario Editor is available as a free download, and is even available with source code in an open license to encourage users to create new exciting missions and battles for DropTeam - mechanized combat in the far future!

Links to download the beta editor:

http://tbgsoftware.com/DropTeamScenarioEditor.zip

or

]http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=158;t=000012

Beta scenario editor documentation:

http://tbgsoftware.com/DropTeamScenarioEditor.pdf

ermmmm am I the only one here that notices that the description given doesn't match up to the billing on this item?

"This brand new Scenario editor allows for the creation of entirely new worlds, maps and missions, including Physical Properties, Skybox, Ambient Sounds, Particle Emitters, Elevation Data, Textures, Terrain Types, Fluids, Game Types and Objects and more."

No it doesn't... well certainly not the version i got from the link in the first post. The manual also makes no mention of bieng able to do this nor how to do this.

"Dropteam is already using XML files for modding and reads data from professional GIS (Geographic Information Systems) packages such as ArcGIS and Terragen, and as such is becoming one of the most extensively moddable game packages available."

Where?. Where is the import for shape files and GIS data.. Just bieng able to open a heightmap doesn't make it GIS.

"the release of a public beta version of the full featured Scenario Editor for "DropTeam"!"

Fully featured???... You can't even place an item by clicking on the map... how the hell does that rate "fully featured"??

Dark-au

"Where?. Where is the import for shape files and GIS data"

This is your only question. Otherwise your post is just a complaint. This kind skillful and very hard working gives you a free senerio and your response is over 85% complaint and without kindness. What were you hoping to do with your post; get an apology? You and the world would benifit if you start moving your social interaction time from the internet (and anonymity) to face to face. If you speak in person like you type on-line lossing fights will make you more civil and the world more pleasant. I know you would not dare speak like you type because you could not look at someone and say what you write. You could not handle the loooks of disgust and anger. Haave you ever complained about any gift given to you to the givers face? I thought not. I hope not to see you on the forum again lame-O who cant argue worth middle school and seems to hardly be able to read.

[ October 18, 2006, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: cool breeze ]

Fully featured???... You can't even place an item by clicking on the map... how the hell does that rate "fully featured"??
Yes, you can place items by clicking the map. You can even drag and drop items that are already on the map. Like so:

Shockwave video - give it time to load

"Dropteam is already using XML files for modding and reads data from professional GIS (Geographic Information Systems) packages such as ArcGIS and Terragen, and as such is becoming one of the most extensively moddable game packages available."

Where?. Where is the import for shape files and GIS data.. Just bieng able to open a heightmap doesn't make it GIS.

I think Matt is referring specifically to the fact that DropTeam reads in the common raw binary heightfield data that is easily exported from all major GIS systems and smaller tools like Terragen, as opposed to some proprietary terrain file format as many games use. So there is an easy export from GIS into DropTeam. However, he may also be referring to our Demeter terrain engine which DropTeam uses for terrain (as do Northrop Grumman and the US Army Research Labs) which natively supports and loads over 30 types of data commonly found in GIS packages, including (but not limited to):

</font>

• ArcGIS (adf or ascii)</font>
  • BSB Nautical Chart</font>
  • dted (all levels)</font>
  • SDTS</font>
  • DEM</font>
  • GRASS</font>
  • FITS</font>
  • tif</font>
  • bt</font>
  • and many others...</font>

Any or all of which can be used by scenario authors in DropTeam via the use of our GDAL plugin by putting it in your bin directory - but honestly, I think you will agree that simple .raw files are all we need as scenario authors and already provides compatibility with every decent GIS tool in use.

And he did not say any of this "makes it a GIS". He said "reads data from" GIS.

"This brand new Scenario editor allows for the creation of entirely new worlds, maps and missions, including Physical Properties, Skybox, Ambient Sounds, Particle Emitters, Elevation Data, Textures, Terrain Types, Fluids, Game Types and Objects and more."

No it doesn't... well certainly not the version i got from the link in the first post. The manual also makes no mention of bieng able to do this nor how to do this.

It does. Here's an example of placing a particle emitter:

Particle Emitter (give it time to load)

The other features mentioned are there, too.

Cool Breeze you seem to delight in deliberate agitation. If you ever do want to come and speak to me face to face be prepared for the fact I'm 6' 6" and 280 lb. :-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/DarkAngelus/DA.jpg

Now I can't see what you problem with my post was. The documentation supplied cirtainly does not answer my question about where the tools are to create new heightmaps, terrain maps and all the other stuff it claims to do.

Ugh! I guess Dark_au wasn't willing to take my advise in another post.

What part of BETA didn't you understand; no matter what the faults. Also, I think it's free, right? With free who cares what it does. If Battlefront wanted to they could have had you download screen shots of pink bunnies dancing to Yani!! Get over your six foot six inch 280 pound self and start acting like a man, son.

Now that I got that out of my system, time to just stop listening. Once you're willing to play nice and be constructive you can get back in the FREE sand box and play with the rest of us. Until then, sit around and remind youself how smart and wonderful you are.

I'm done feeding the troll now poesel, sorry.

what is wrong with you guys. Cool breeze want to suggest i need a good kicking and getting pugilistic with me yet I'm the one accused of trolling. Which was not my intention. I asked some direct questions in a way that obviously doesn't Gel with you guys cos of who's asking them.. but that doesn't effect that the questions remains... beta or not it claims to do things that I can't get it to do and which aren't in the documentation. I would suggest that the rest of you get a life and stop trying to jump on everything i say.

Give your original posts a read Dark_au. I think you will see that you didn't ask direct questions but blathered on with accusations. Once Clay put your complaints to bed you chilled out. That's fine, but don't play victim here. I'm all for critique and free exchange of ideas, but when you whip yourself into a frenzy over free stuff I draw the line. No one hates you, just play nice.

• 1 month later...

Dark_au:

Do you mean "This brand new Scenario editor allows for the creation of entirely new worlds, maps and mission"?

I believe you need to make the heightmap images/GIS data used for the worlds and maps outside of the editor, but the tool uses those and helps you place stuff.

If you're not familiar with heightmaps, they're greyscale bitmap "images" that reflect terrain (white is higher, dark is lower, for example) These can be made in any decent graphics program like Photoshop/Paintshop Pro/GIMP, but to create realistic terrain you might want to get more specialized programs that will export heightmap images. (I'm not sure if stuff like Bryce does that or not)

Hopefully this helps.

No I mean:-

which it doesn't do any of. I do know what heightmaps are. The hype line imples this tool lets you create / edit them which is not the case.

Well, it seems the key words here are "allows for", not "creates".

It seems to me all of the listed items can be new, and pulled together in "new worlds, maps and missions" using this tool. I don't expect the map to make textures for new meshes, for example, but rather to pull those items into the game world in a useful way.

I can see how one could think this, although I wouldn't call this intentional "hype", just reading into it more than what it intends.

[ December 04, 2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Hawkslayer ]