More Players

theIRONGIANT

This game is great, especially on a mac. I give a loud round of applause to the developers. Once a slight bit more tweeking happens to balance the levels it will be golden. Except for the lack of players in the full version. I think that this is something that both the serious players and the developers should work on. Here are a few ideas:

1) Viral marketting: allow current players to invite a friend(s) for a discounted price.

2) Buzz: both players and developers can post articles and videos about DT all over the net. This includes updating the dropteam website!

3) Deception: when a demo player refreshes the server list, make it look like there are multiple full-version games in progress.

4) Enticements: allow demo users to observe full-version games.

5) Punishments: randomly (1 player an hour) drop players from the demo version with a message stating that they should purchase the full version.

6) Bundles: Apple routinely bundles games with their computers (though I have no idea how to set this up).

7) Encouragement: If you meet a new player online or are on the demo servers, be nice and try to get them into the game.

Just some ideas along with some bad spelling.

Your truely, theIRONGIANT

1,2,6,7 - yes (although 7 is happening already IMHO)

3) - not really

4) observe bot games?

5) just annoys people

This game is a very good multiplayer game. But I think it failed selling a lot in the first few weeks. This is a chicken and eggs problem and probably a marketing failure. Maybe because battlefront never had such a multiplayer game.

Again guessing: the WWII mods purpose is to get all the WWII buffs out of their holes and so create the critical mass to fill the servers.

I'm not sure how that will collide with Theater of War though... (which is not an issue for me since ToW seems to be Windows only)

Since the Linux and Mac market has no competition for DT it may be a good (albeit small) target.

[ September 07, 2006, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: poesel71 ]

Well, here's a few ideas...

I'm not aware of a screen-filming program for mac, but I know there are a few out for PC.

Basically.. two ideas.

1- Follow in the steps of Halo/RvB. Create a short comedy film using DT. Between the Tanks and Infantry, I'm pretty sure you could come up with something funny. I know that we could get a cast/crew from here, and I would certainly be more than willing to help, myself. And think about it, someone comes, particularly a demo player, and sees that we love having fun, and created a funny video, they would be that much more likely to buy the full game. And as people buy the full game, they tell others, and those people buy it, then they tell others, ect ect.

2- An ad. There are all sorts of free video sites out there. Google Video, You Tube, ect ect. On the same principle as above, we could create a video for DT, and since the cast/crew would all be from here, it would be free-of-cost to the team.

3- Those of us who already own the full game should go out to forums and advertise. I visit Macologist, and several gaming clan websites, including PMOH/Planet Medal of Honor, which I am a member of ([PMOH]Iceman). I'm sure once the WW2 mod is out, it would be easy to talk them into it.

Basically, I think we all need to do our part to start hyping this game. Advertisement may have failed in the first few weeks, but the game is by no means dead in the water. We can still advertise it on our own.

And playing instead of posting helps to up the numbers too smile.gif

What I noticed that know everyone I meet from the forum. There is next to no player who doesn't post here and plays regularly. Maybe a hint in game to the forum would help to get those who missed the forum at all.

I'm now off to gaming.

ironGIANT has been gaming and coding as long as I have, this is a good topic. I wonder if you are intersted in doing some Mods for this game Giant? I would be.

Kudos to the developers, I have enjoyed some of Battlefronts other titles and am thrilled to see a real strategy game step up the gameplay. I have been jonesing for the next best game (not a reskin) and this is it.

It will be the developers and first players players who spread the word, and will take some work. I think online videos are probably the number one place to be viewed and garner attention.

It would be good to evangelize in other games as well, I know that PS2 Socom has 10,000+ people often on, and lots of them are looking for something new as well. Though I personally am loath to go back to my old games

Google adds, including video are dirt cheap, BattleFront should pump it up.

The Mac n Linux market may be small in comparison, but if the the demo was bundled or profiled via Apple it would make a BIG difference to the current community count. (plus think of all the fresh meat)

I agree, play as much as possible as well. I am out of the country till next month, but you will see me in game again soon.

PredatorChimp, your on vacation in the EU and are posting about video games = ADDICT. I would love to put some time into a mod, maybe we could revive 'mars plastic wars'.

Everyone else, video ads would be great but just as good is voting up gameplay vids on youtube. the viral marketting thing could be a wildfire once the flame lights.

Another idea is to just give a hundred of the demo players the full-version. I think the money would be made up in the long run. But maybe us old timers that paid should get some sort of title like: OLD TIMERS.

Originally posted by PredatorChimp:

The Mac n Linux market may be small in comparison, but if the the demo was bundled or profiled via Apple it would make a BIG difference to the current community count. (plus think of all the fresh meat)

the demo, i was surprised when i saw it, is advertised at apple web site

and welcome in the old continent :cool:

Hi guys,

thanks for all the good advice! Some good ideas, some of which we're already doing. For example, we're running Google ads for months now DropTeam, not video ads but Flash and those little word ads. Great results in terms of clicks (especially from the Mac side, but PC, too), but not in terms of purchase (Goggle has a conversion tracking tool and only a few of the thousands of people who visit the Dropteam site actually purchase unfortunately, at least according to the Google stats).

We've also just launched an ad campaign for DT on Gamershell.com which gives a special discounted price ($5) to people ordering, also.

But the best form of advertising (because it doesn't cost anything, and because it's "honest") is your word of mouth advertising, and we really appreciate your ideas and support for the game! You guys rock! smile.gif

Martin

Stick to our target market: Hardcore wargamers.

It's just there's not a ton of us, and we're hard to scare up! (And tough to sell to!)

Twinks are easier to sell to. But you need flashier graphics, more bugs, and hitpoints instead of armor... And leet sniper rifles with no ballistics in a wind-free environment... *sigh*

Basically, to have a game sell thousands upon thousands of copies, it has to be a game that a 10 year old can play.

And unfortunatly, they do. And noone likes it when they do. A lot of the arsehats I ran into while admining a server on MOH, or just playing BF1942, make me much happier this game doesn't attract those sorts.

i found some screen capture software for the mac (http://shinywhitebox.com), and tried out the demo to record DT and then some amature edits in iMovie and ended up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p56dQe1kRw

please note that the video is mostly covered by a demo disclaimer from the capture software, but you can see me doing some mac jumps in the shrike, and eating people up in the Cutter (and if you played the last few nights, you know i rule the cutter), and other low G tricks. anyways this was just a test for those who want to do this on the mac. i want to thank sabot3 for putting up with me during the game.