Cat 3.4 Drivers For ATI

Obviously it's the buyers decision, but IMHO, the ATi series of cards, from the 9000 right up to the 9800 Pro are the best cards on the planet for this sort of thing. Ok, they're not perfect due to driver support, but take a look at the problems Nvidia users (including myself) are facing. Just as bad if you ask me. The ATi cards are more powerful like for like, and produce better quality FSAA than the Nvidia cards. I currently own a 9700 Pro, and a Nvidia Ti4200. I use both for CMBB, but I find the Ati card much better for it, even with the poor driver support.

Heh, and to think I just switched to ATI because Nvidia made such a mess of things. smile.gif

Still, I'm rather happy with my new 9700 pro. I trust this will eventually be fixed.

In the meantime MrNoobie has released a 'patch' for CM that makes the game at least playable. Not perfect, but playable. Download it at the mod database

just to complicate everyone's video card life just a bit more

Nvidia has just released the NV35 (FX 5900 Ultra) which in terms of performance is on par with the ATI 9800

despite comments above to the contrary, ATI has hardly walked off with unrivaled superiority in vid card design

Yes, SunKing, that's the form I've been using, thank you for posting the link and the admonition, tho.

I had to roll all the way back to the Catalyst 3.0, what I had been using, to get the text to display. :(

I tried the 3.4, 3.2, 3.1, no joy. Unfortunately, the 3.4's had a fix I wanted, that's why I had installed them. :(

As others have said, most of the fault lies with ATI, but realistically CM is using such an old DirectX implementation that the drivers don't support it even if the DirectX spec says they should. I am less critical of Apple dropping the support for the old API the more that I see the reality of the hardware vendors driver implementaions. *sigh*

I was really looking forward to CMAK, but my faith in being able to run it is wavering ...

Looks like this board will be busy once the retail versions hit the shelves with a whole new crop of frustrated video card owners.

9700 Pro, Win XP.

I'm using my Geforce4 Ti4200, with 43.51 drivers. I've seen the slow-frame rate issue. Not 100% sure what we can do about it TBH, and my faith is wavering too. I *think* I'm going to invest in the 5900FX when it hits our shores. I'm sure it won't fix the problem we're experiencing here, but it will certainly look good smile.gif

Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

Not 100% sure what we can do about it TBH, and my faith is wavering too. I *think* I'm going to invest in the 5900FX when it hits our shores.

I guess I'm going to see if I can resurrect an old PII-450. I may only need to buy a CD-ROM drive & I've got a GeForce 3 Ti 500 for it ... if I get it working and it can handle CMBB I'll have a box just for CM and I'll get fog again. smile.gif

Kinda sad it's come to that, but I really do need to use the Catalyst 3.4's on my 9700 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Douglas Rudd:

Don't get them, white text is still missing. Time to dump ATI :(

Doug

Why blame ATI? The CM graphics engine is 4 years old. Compared to fast develoment in graphic-card-tech, it's like running Windows95 on a modern computer system.

Originally posted by easytarget:

despite comments above to the contrary, ATI has hardly walked off with unrivaled superiority in vid card design

I disagree, Nvidia is in a slump right now as those FX cards are noisey and slower than the latest ATI cards, also ATI is comeing out with a better version of the 9800 upon the relase of the NV35 boards.

I would personaly take an over Geforce 4 ti series over any NV30 boards.

might want to catch up on latest developments card wise - nvidia currently owns the fastest card bragging rights

the 5900 is faster than the 9800 and no longer noisy leaf blower like its predecessor

in fact, the 5900 is specifically faster than the 9800 at higher rez and with AA and AF on (the area where ATI was owning nvidia)

as for a faster versions coming out - that's a factor you can safely ignore, it's true for both companies all the time ;)

Originally posted by Scipio:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Douglas Rudd:

Don't get them, white text is still missing. Time to dump ATI :(

Doug

Why blame ATI? The CM graphics engine is 4 years old. Compared to fast develoment in graphic-card-tech, it's like running Windows95 on a modern computer system. </font>