Down in Flames Official Website LIVE

Madmatt

• 2 weeks later...

Minor nitpicks, but you might want to correct some typos:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/dif/designer.html

Down In Flames (DiF) began as a card game submission to GMT Games about 11 years ago. At the time, it was titled “Ra-tat-tat” and was a game about WWII biplane dogfighting. While GMT liked the game, we all agreed that WWII was a better market for a game and the decision made to advance the timeline from WWI to WWII.

WWI dogfighting, I think.

You call the Bf109F alternatively the Friedrich and the Franz. I'm not sure if one or the other were names for sub-variants, but I think you should probably pick one name or the other.

Your Bf109G is listed as "Gustov". I'm not 100% sure on this, but "Gustav" seems to be the more common spelling.

The FW-190 is nicknamed "Wuerger" which, I believe is an acceptable alternative spelling, but I think that "Würger" is more correct.

SUPER minor nitpicks, but they're easy to correct, and if I picked them up in a relatively minor once-over, others probably have too.

I'm looking forward to the game.

No problem, Dan. As I said, they're really minor.

By the way, I note that your web site page listing your previous designs:

http://www.dvg.com/gameprojects.html

...lists "Road Kill" as one of your designs. I saw Road Kill at a local game store the other day, so I was thinking about picking it up.

I looked it up at Board Game Geek:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1578

... and noticed that it lists a different designer, one Don Greenwood. Is this an error on the part of BBG or some sort of multiple-designer scenario?

Road Kill is an odd story.

I submitted a cute little card game called "Banzai Racers". It had 55 cards, 1 page of rules, and 4 players could play in 30 minutes. The game was about driving dune buggies through the desert in a race, drinking beer, picking up blonde hitchhikers, and shooting at each other.

Avalon Hill then developed the game into the final published product.

I still, kinda, claim design credit, but in the rules it went to one of their in-house guys. I am listed in the credits somewhere, but they mispelled my name.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new at the site. Happen to find it by looking online for a game called "Over The Reich", as I came across some old "General" magazines which were in my attic. Being familar with Avalon Hill's "Mustangs" board game, among other AH air combat games, I had grown tired of the only type of game out on the market for computers was sim's. I did purchase Talonsofts Battle of Britain computer game, but was disappointed. If anyone has the issue VOL. 30, NO. 5-Avalon Hill, this issue featured the "Mustangs" game. There are plenty of historical dogfights in the mag which could be applied to DiF when one would overplay the scenarios of the game. Waiting patiently for the release of this game. :D

[ August 17, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: MiG-3 ]

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of nationalities; I think an expansion to the Eastern front would be cool, once the initial game is shipped.

And as this is my first post here; thank you for making this game. I have always ben a fan of BF.C games and this looks to continue the history of excelence. If only I'd heard about it before the AAR that www.thewargamer.com just put up.

Hello Brethon,

Welcome to the family!

I started visting this site about a year ago when I started working with the BFC guys on the DIF game.

I plan on adding the Soviets, French, and Italians after the initial game is released.

I would also like to add in a few of the lessor known aircraft. I've always been a fan of the Polish P.11c, not the best aircraft of the war, but they fought with valor.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres few minor errors in plane stats.

None of Bf 109g or Bf 109k models had 15mm machine guns.

This is error which happened when some author mixed mg151 (15mm) with mg131 (13mm). Prolly a typo.

15mm mg151/15 is physically even larger than 20mm mg151/20 which they placed firing though 109F and G propellor hubs. There simply wasnt enough room to fit it inside the cowling. Large bulges were needed to house pair of mg131s there.

So IRL both had 13mm cowling guns. Late model Bf-109g (g-6, g-10) had option for MK 108 30mm cannon in place of mg151/20. In Bf 109K 30mm MK 108 was standard.

[ September 25, 2004, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: ladoga ]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Dave H, the other projects are not connected to T72 or Dangerous Waters, they're done by different development teams. Down in Flames and Modern Naval Battles are connected in a way, so the delay with DIF has caused a ripple effect on MNB, even though both are in theory developed independently.

The holdup with DIF is mainly that we underestimated the time to get a stable, working, secure and fast online environment up for the game, read: server and everything associated with it. That's not a simple task if you want to handle more than a handful of players.

Anyway, things are coming together slowly as we're trying to get the beta demo out.

Martin