Garrisons - worth doing?

What's the effect of stationing troops in occupied countries?

I think that stationing units near partisan spawning spots prevents them spawning there, like in SC1.

Stationing troops in French/British/Norwegian cities doesn't seem to prevent supply disruption partisans though. Is there any reason to do so, other than to protect against invasion?

Originally posted by Bromley:

Stationing troops in French/British/Norwegian cities doesn't seem to prevent supply disruption partisans though.

I think it does knock down the odds, although not stop them all together. Anyone?

If you place them on cities, it will eliminate them.

France, you also need one within 1 tile of the mine.

Greece, one on the city and one covering the mountains.

Norway, cities and next to mine.

Same as SC1, a unit needs to be ON or next to a possible partisan trigger to completly eliminate the chance.

For Yugo, plan on putting a unit in each end of the mountains, one in the capital, one in Bulgarian capital, one in the Italian port city. Covers it for the rest of the game. Or keep a strong unit in reserve to hunt the little buggers down.

For Russia, put one unit in each swamp, or again, a strong unit in reserve to go get them. I believe there's other spots in Russia where they spawn now, but by the time you get there, they ain't so much of a problem.

The problem with garrison everything, is that if you occupy alot of countries, you don't have enough units to garrison everything :mad:

I personally never garrison anything, but I only play against the AI.

Against a human, I guess you have to garrison all coastal cities of the Atlantic, including the three in Norway.

I personally never garrison anything, but I only play against the AI.
Has that worked for you TaoJah? I figured the Russian and/or Yugoslav partisans would move into the cities if left undefended. Then again, I haven't left them undefended to find out.

Originally posted by Yogi:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I personally never garrison anything, but I only play against the AI.

Has that worked for you TaoJah? I figured the Russian and/or Yugoslav partisans would move into the cities if left undefended.</font>

Originally posted by Yogi:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TaoJah:

Ok, but what about before they surrender? </font>
That's what the "pffffft, let them take a few cities" was for :)

Really, I did both several times : put garrisons in cities or don't. It's just cheaper not to bother with them.

As German, I only play with the troops I get at the start, I only buy three HQs (I am not even sure that's needed, but they got good CR).

I spend all my money on research and just buy a unit when one of the core ones is killed, which happens rarely.

No need to bother with extra corpses for garrisons, in my AI-experience.

But try it both ways, perhaps you feel differently about it !

Originally posted by Blashy:

Yes you can, you will have to look at the scripts to know every location they can appear and make sure they are covered.

This is the most stupid thing I ever heard. This “solution” has nothing with gameplay. Unfortunately, this is not only case. Lots of players memorized scripts before playing. This like you know the future. We are all Nostradamus :D . I know that this “issue” cannot be avoided but it should be minimized. And that’s why I suggested purchase and manual deploy options for partisans. In that way players will never know where partisans will be placed. Of course, these options must follow some restrictions like – soft limit for partisan units and partisans cannot go across its national borders

@Vveed I think an option like you suggested could be fun . But I I can live with the way Sc2 works in respect of partisans.

I am against special garrison units which don´t lower your "unit /force pool" . You need some balance if the axis goes rampage trying to conquer the "world" . There are limits to the avaible soldiers to occupy all these countries.

Originally posted by vveedd:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blashy:

Yes you can, you will have to look at the scripts to know every location they can appear and make sure they are covered.

This is the most stupid thing I ever heard. This “solution” has nothing with gameplay. Unfortunately, this is not only case. Lots of players memorized scripts before playing. This like you know the future. We are all Nostradamus :D . I know that this “issue” cannot be avoided but it should be minimized. And that’s why I suggested purchase and manual deploy options for partisans. In that way players will never know where partisans will be placed. Of course, these options must follow some restrictions like – soft limit for partisan units and partisans cannot go across its national borders </font>

Originally posted by Lars:

What else you going to do for the AI? Have to script them somewhere.[/QB]

No, of course. But write in scripts put them always in 3 or 4 same tiles is also ridiculous. I am not a programmer but I am sure that scripts can be changed in that way that AI can put partisans in every tiles unoccupied from Axis units and under Axis control.