Finally had a chance to try 1.06 a couple of times. While I have liked some of what I saw the AI do, in two games with Axis AI, France held out until August and June of 1941. I'd like to say because if my great defense, but what the AI did was reach Paris but then backed off and concentrated on the Maginot line. Lots of loss and lots of time allowing a very weak France to just sit and defend Paris with little trouble until the whole Maginot line was destroyed. Kept reinforcing my line units as much as possible, so it took months (over a year) for the entire line to fall.

Is it possible that the AI is scripted to take the Maginot line first instead of Paris?

Ever the game was released, the AI has had some perverse fetish with attacking and taking fortresses.

Another AI exploit is that if a fortress is left open at the beginning of its turn, it will often move the most powerful unit over to take that tile, thus making it useless for carrying on the offensive.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Yogi, it was hoped that v1.06 would mostly address AI situations like these but after just taking a quick look at the scripts I can see where a few introduced and incorrect items might cause the AI to not behave as expected. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Hubert,

I made the post to see if others were having the same result. Your game and work is appreciated a great deal. This one does seem to be a pretty major AI mistake so I thought it was worth mentioning.

I had a similar experience with France holding until 1941, it was then to late for German IA to defeat USSR. IA spent some energy on Maginot line, 2 of its armored units where then weakened and destroyed while still in Benelux. I think the IA should concentrate its firepower. For instance german IA can be diverted by the french fleet : german planes attack the fleet while their firepower would be quite usefull on the battlefield (like historically, germans combined armored & air attack). I thing priority for IA is to capture production points => capture capitals => concentrate firepower on enemy units in strategic positions (and not on expensive units like ships)

Youri, I agree. The AI should focus on capturing production points, then capitals and destroying enemy units.

Too often the AI, can be diverted by attacks on units that don't support the primary objective.

Personally, I would like to see the ability to script tiles that should be given secondary priority, such as the Maginot lines or Leningrad.