New here, how good is this game.

Hi everybody, i have just joined this forum to see if this game is worth buying.

I have always wanted a game where i could take the war from day 1 and do things my way. I bought hearts of iron, but i didn't have the time to dedicate myself to the game. Here are some questions.

1) Will the game give me the open ended game i crave?

2) Does the game feel swift? (hearts of iron way too deep for quick play)

3) Will i need to be on the ball against the ai? (many wargames with poor ai out there)

4) How good is the multiplayer? (stability etc..)

Thanks in advance, hope to hear from you guys (and gals) soon.

smile.gif

Hellmut!,... I bought 'Hearts of Iron' as well, but haven't really had the time to get into it, perhap's after this present Job im on is over with? [im "Building a House right-now!,...so i have other concern's at the present!, and will have to let it wait until i have much-more free time!.],...i'll try to give it a go then!. It is really a 'Very-Deep'... 'In-Depth-Game', requiring 'ALL-your-dedication' & 'Total Absorption' to play it!. Is that 'Good'? or 'Bad'?,...i don't know yet!.

1). I can't really define here what you mean by...'Open Ended'?,...all i can tell you is that the outcome you will be dealing with,...will for a lack of a better way of stating it is,..."Will be determined by how 'YOU!'...yourself play this game!.

2). This is 'Definetely' NOT 'Hearts of Iron' as far as how Slow & Time-Consuming each turn takes!. As compared,...you are Traveling at 'Warp-Factor-#9!' verses 'Sub-Light-Speed!'.

3). I am an 'AI' player, and the 'AI' has also just 'Very-Recently' been 'Ramped-Up/Improved!',...so all i can tell you is what it was like "Before the 'Upgrade!'". I would say that roughly about 75% of the time that it plays a 'Standard-Reaction-Game' or a 'Counter-Moves-Effort' to your Ploy's/Incursion's,...but!!!,...that there are 'Definetely' "moment's" when it will surprise you!. So!,...be on your 'Guard' or you have your Pant's taken down while your 'Eyes' are still open and you are still standing up!.

4). 'Multi-Player' is what i do not do!, however!,...from what i can gather from the other's,...they seem to have a lot of fun & challenge with it!.

That's it from me for now!.

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Are you a spy?

1. Yes

2. Yes click and move, very easy to understand

3. Dont play AI you bastard

4. Good enough for people to kick your ass

Now go get your camp Kuni soldier kit and on to battle, you maggot!!!!

Blimey that's some heavy handed yet informative replies.

hmmmm

ok nearly there, oh by the way i'm not a spy (unless paranoia is creeping in here)

Just like to enjoy my games and spend wisely.

Thanks to Retributar for raising the level towards a purchase.

Greetings Hellmut,

1) You can win either as Axis or Allies player if you use the right strategy. Standardgame ends in May 1947, so you have 2 years more time to win the war. With the editor you can design your own modules (incl. other end-date).

2) The turn-based SC is very easy to learn, but it needs some work to master it (I also own HoI, but I don't like the real-time when you have to fight at several fronts).

3) You can choose poor, medium and good AI and you can give the AI the advantage of more experienced units (they fight better). With the editor you also can improve (some of) the AI-rules.

4) Sorry, but I only play Hotseat or vs. AI, so I can't tell. But I think, after 7 patches multiplayer should be very stable.

If you decide to buy SC2 you should wait for the expansion Weapons and Warfare (is published in October/November).

Have a nice time with SC2.

PS: For me SC2 is (in the moment) the best WW II Europe Strategic Game.

Originally posted by Hellmut:

Hi everybody, i have just joined this forum to see if this game is worth buying.

I have always wanted a game where i could take the war from day 1 and do things my way. I bought hearts of iron, but i didn't have the time to dedicate myself to the game. Here are some questions.

3) Will i need to be on the ball against the ai? (many wargames with poor ai out there)

smile.gif

The new game Weapons and Warfare answer all of those with a resounding yes. So does SC2 but WaW is amazing.

1) Yes the gameplay is not set in stone to follow history, do your own thing.

2) The game is swift, I can't stand micro managing games and this one is not one of them.

3) I think this game probably has the best AI so far, I had never lost against the AI until WaW.

4) Multi player is smooth.

And 5) The game has amazing support from the ONE lone developer.

smile.gif

Not sure what you crave but game allows you to play the way you desire within the confines of WWII. One of my complaints has always been the game allows players to go too far away from what happened or I thought would have been available it WWII.

Game plays quickly. The unique system of weather allows for a good flow where you dont get bored.

I find this AI to be one of the best in the industry. Better then HOI2. BTW, the AI does play historically but seems to be able to handle those who wander away from the norm.

Multiplayer is solid with excellant playback.

I rate this game on a 5 point scale at 4.5. Nothing is perfect but the awesome support and dedication of the designers makes this one close and always getting closer.

Hellmutt, welcome to our community. Hmmmm ....today, ...Sept.25 turns out to be your lucky day, circle it on the calendar, you have found the world of SC.

Don't mind the loonies...aka Rambo and co., we occassionally get on the grass. ;)

Open ended, ha! Ever check out the modding capabilities of TOAW? Nuff sed!

Swift you ask? Efficient gameturns in minutes or you can dwell, model and reload, but there will be a great variety of results.

AI? Try the expert +2 level and at the sametime, bend down, stick your head between your legs and kiss your @ss goodbye. At least for a couple of months while you figure it out.

After you figure it out, then you are ready for multi-player and the world of SC enters a new dimension. There are many players here that will help you assume the position that you have practiced against the AI, and thought you had mastered. Good Luck! You'll need it ....and a bunch of skill also.

[ September 25, 2007, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]

This game is an adequate example of it's genre - WW2 based games that emphasis playability rather than accuracy of simulation.

It plays well and can be quite enjoyable - but it's not a great simulation of WW2.

Currently, Strategic Command 2 is a WW2 lovers Must-Have... If you like Strategic primarily-mix with tactical interface then it's heroine... You will lose a lot of nights of sleep if you dedicate yourself to learning it and playing it with a group of people here... HOI is great, if you have a team of dedicated players, so you have to jump their forum and get involved, but HOI is way too complex to ever really get anything finished without planning for a 6 month stretch and without reading 500 pages.

As far as I know now, this new Strategic Command-HOI combo has kicked off a craze, there are several smaller companies producing WW2 Genre Strategic games and a lot more producing tactical ones...however these are the Staples and these communities are tried and tested, Paradox and BattleFront are the Premier even though other companies may be bigger.

Thankyou everybody.

I have downloaded, installed and lost another portion of my life.

This game is soooooo.......addictive.

First time i played i gave the Ai 50% +1exp and found my Axis forces crumbling away after 1942.

I Love this game, enough said.

Thankyou everybody.

I have downloaded, installed and lost another portion of my life.

This game is soooooo.......addictive.

First time i played i gave the Ai 50% +1exp and found my Axis forces crumbling away after 1942.

I Love this game, enough said.

Now wait until the expansion pack is out... WOW.