Ok, so I download the demo, fire up the Normandy scenario playing the Germans on default settings.

I proceed to beat the crap out of the Allies in spite of their "destroy two units no matter what" bombing spree every turn. At the end, I still control two of the three objectives, and the Allied army is reduced to the four American parachute regiments, a British armor division, two British infantry divisions and two regiments.

For this I am rewarded with...

ALLIED MARGINAL VICTORY.

You gotta be kidding smile.gif

I killed two of their HQ's, all but one armor, savaged the infantry, left them holding Cherbourg along with a strip of land on the original beaches, and they win? You guys need to rethink those victory conditions. This was a crushing German victory any way you slice it.

By the way, speaking of victory conditions, what are they? I couldn't find any report screen or scenario description of how much objectives are worth, and there was no summary screen showing this many points from killing and this many from owning, or what. Is there one?

And how about time left? Where do I find when the scenario ends?

EDIT:

Aah ok, I found the victory.txt with all the dates and victory conditions. Too bad you can't see this info from within the game.

Anyway, does this game take into account casualties as far as victory conditions? I find it hard to believe I could eliminate 80% of the invasion force and lose the scenario :(

[ April 06, 2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: blackbellamy ]

As a separate point, I ran the Normandy scenario a couple of times just to watch the initial Allied turns, and almost every time the AI landed 2 HQs way out on the east flank, where they promptly bent over for what they were about to receive.

I notice the AI moves the HQs last during invasions. This is a problem as all the best landing spots are already taken.

Tsstsss you should improve your gameplay (Axis mayor victory for me ;) ) I notice the same problem as you did, the total disregard of the computer for its HQs. Killing all 5 HQs in the first 3 turns of the invasion and there goes the invasion of the Normandy.

Originally posted by blackbellamy:

As a separate point, I ran the Normandy scenario a couple of times just to watch the initial Allied turns, and almost every time the AI landed 2 HQs way out on the east flank, where they promptly bent over for what they were about to receive.

I notice the AI moves the HQs last during invasions. This is a problem as all the best landing spots are already taken.

The problem with landing them first would be they would be pushed to the front of the invasion force and most likely even more vulnerable.

I've noticed the AI HQ landing behaviour as well and while in some cases, if the AI has cleared enough units prior to landing, they land in an ideal friendly pocket sometimes it occurs where they are forces to the edges and land next to enemy or exposed positions. I'll take a look and see what tweaks I can make.

That's what I was thinking, to have the AI delay the landing if the current landing spots aren't favorable, but on the other hand this means an extra turn where the invading units aren't benefitting from HQ command and control bonuses.

It's a rough one, because HQ units are the single most important unit type in the game, and losing one represents a major setback. I don't really have a beef with the AI overall - I know it's going to make silly mistakes that I can exploit no matter what, but I'm concerned that it uses it's most valueable units so carelessly.