First multiplayer AAR Condor (axis) vs Hellraiser (allies)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Axis manage to kill the Erzurum defender - Russia operates 4 armies, HQ and corps to block the access to oil rich areas of southern Russia.

RAF strafing Antwerp port big time.

Italian ships engage rblack sea red fleet near Istanbul.

Odessa finally fell to Axis.

Finnish corps destroyed near Leningrad.

Russian winter better come faster smile.gif

january 42.

USA joins allies and soviet winter strikes.

gathering forces around leningrade and in the south im still trying to get to Turkey.

No tech advances since a long timea and no diplomacy advances either.

I hold only 3 russian cities and im not trying to make too much progress since i didnt have any troops. Now new tank and army forces have been created and im watiing for good weather.

January 42, USA prepares.

Turkish border occupied by russian armies - passage blocked for now.

Soviet winter strikes ...

'...no diplomacy advance...' - you know, UK has a foreign office as well ...

Game saved, I need to get some sleep...tom is a working day :(

Played although online right now a few observations:

-Sending a turn takes round about 30s +10s synchro. Thats feels quite long.. No disconnect though.

-timer is nice

- A key like in SC1 "ESC" would be nice to minimize screen

- While the other player moves you can´t do anything but chat... not even look around at the map :(

-

OK, HR is gone to rest. Gonna try to summarize my opinion so far about SC2.

Even tho, the mechanics of this game are so alike SC the whole game is totally different. This is a very realistic game and u have to think a lot what u gonna do.

My strategy was to get iraq and spain via diplo and at the same time avoid a fast enter of the war of USA&Russia.

But Spain didnt joined and my mighty italian GR1 fleet is in the MED, when they should be kicking asses in the Athlantic. (I saw the red arrows in suez canal and so i took all the navy there but Suez canal doesnt work for axis...(i guess it written in the manual but i dont rememeber)).

I spent too many MMPs in diplo and tech early in the game and russia entered war too soon (i guess HR had some diplo chits there) so i didnt gather enough troops to advance more in russia. Now troops have arrived but Russia is now powerful.

Weather is biatch. Winter attacks are almost useless and mud is a pain in the ass too.

Germany can win the athlantic but i think Spain is needed so the italian fleet can gain access to the Athlantic. I sunk a lot of RN ships and still have Bismark, Tirpitz plus cruisier. Naval battles were crazy this game, u cannot see that in SC1.

One thing wrong is that the white color for snow looks so similar to the circle that indicates where to move that u cant see a damn thing. i dont know if this can be changed but it was very disturbing in winter seasons.

Anyway, the game looks very very good. I never got disturbed by the tile system (but maybe cos i just dont care too much about hexes).

Best WWII strategy game so far? For me, yes.

Originally posted by Sombra:

Played although online right now a few observations:

-Sending a turn takes round about 30s +10s synchro. Thats feels quite long.. No disconnect though.

-timer is nice

- A key like in SC1 "ESC" would be nice to minimize screen

- While the other player moves you can´t do anything but chat... not even look around at the map :(

-

ESC key does function in SC2 as well.

We've already asked for that feature about browsing around, a question of priorities for Hubert.

Lets see if i get thigs right.

Axis pro coup in Iraq--> Iraq goes to 80% BUT i cant advance my troops thru iraqi soil towards Russia.

I conquered North Africa so soon i coulda taken my troops to the caucausus ... in spring 41. BUT i coudnt do anything so my troops were shooting ducks in NA. I DOWed Siria (even tho i remember reading the manual it was not going to like a lot of countries...), i took Siria and now i could advance my troops to Russia...DOWing Turquey.

That is right, a pro coup one side does not mean they join, although this one is a pretty big coup, from 20% UK to 80% Axis.

There is a way to get Iraq with Axis without spending diplomacy.

And even with Iraq, you still have another country to take go through before reaching Russia.

True, I countered his diplo chits in Spain -> getting Spain as Axis is HUGE - you get a lot of troops + 2 ships and you can attack Gibraltar - essential for the domination of North Atlantic.

I never invested diplo chits i nUSSR, never had that cash.

Egypt can't be held if Axis commits enough troops - it acts as a delay and you can sneak the forces out via Suez loop when things start to stink.

Russia decided to defend in depth - no need for him to benefit of high supply areas like Warsaw and Koenigsberg. the more he enter in Russia, the tougher it becomes for him - partisans, sucky supply, murderous weather - you get the point.

Meanwhile UK managed to rebuild and upgrade her AFs and carriers and is pinging resources. UK upgraded all resources in the home isle so his air meets some flak if he wants to take UK out.

Now Russia is superior in land units and can hold some ground. Not enough HQs and techs to start offensive actions...yet smile.gif

USA is breeding some tough units - her time will come soon ...

In my opinion, the primary objective for Axis should be Leningrad. It allows a connection to Finland and moreover, it bumps the skando resources up to 8 via Finland - Sweden (in this case DOW on Sweden is a natural choice).

1- Yes, Spain is THE country of choice for Axis, once again Hitler never pushed enough to get it involved and yet it had a good sized army.

2- I'm glad you see this, IF the Axis do the right thing historically for Egypt, it will fall, to heavily defend or evacuate is a player decision.

3- Anti Aircraft is vs. bombers only...

4- Leningrad is always a must, same as SC, gotta bring Finland in supply and be able to use 3 good finish troops.

See, the game is easy to lear, if you've played SC, you know 90% of this game, the other 10% can be nasty to find out in battle, hehe.

Nice AAR guys, good to read. The winters are definitely harsh, even the mud can have a big effect if your airpower can't reach their targets.

Unless you have a superior hand it's almost useless to attack in the dead of winter. Better to sit and regroup for the spring.

Blashy, I don't have the manual here at work, nor I can download it :( so I cannot check if AA applies only vs bombers - but it would be absurd since regular air fleets can target cities and resources. I mean AFs can hit empty resources - if they have troops placed on it they would hit the troops ofc.

Sometimes Axis use strafing of ports as a mean to force intercepts, that's why I invested in upgrading the resources. With the new possibility of manual selection of AF role (i.e. not allowing it to intercept) it may be of no real use - but , trust me, a lot of players will leave AFs behaviour set to auto as I did for some turns smile.gif

Ref. Egypt and the Med:

Indeed Blashy, it feels quite realistic - had that punk ass Adolf sent enough stuff to Rommel as Condor did to - whatever bunta chief was leading his troops down there - ...

My guess is that the proper use of that default UK bomber would make it harder for axis. Gotta place the bomber in Malta several turns before Italy joins,so it can entrench, and start bombing some NA ports out of order and force gerry spend $$$ on more expensive amphib transports.

Cash is a pain in this game.