The new Screenshots?

Curiosity has been provoked.

So....in the Kursk SS(screenshot), I see emplaced AT guns in the Russian fortifications, any significance there or just eye candy.

I'm wondering how those 2 infantry and Tank units were spotted on the second Russian row of fortifications....any comment on the mechanism involved?

It seems some units of the same side are facing in different directions.....does this have some consequence on combat?

Hallelujah!!! Finally some artillery units, with range no doubt. Hope they're transportable. And I see them with upgrades.....DD?, Bill?, Hubert, a comment pretty please.

Tell me more......if artillery has range, will our battlewagons, cruisers, etc.?

Finally....at least for now, in the NA SS, the large city or base with the 3 10s set in the blue-gray octagons, this is the MPP/supply value? Is it not possible to assign an MPP/supply value to any tile...like clear, or desert, etc.? Sure would be nice to make any tile have some significance to occupy it....would make gamey deployments unproductive.

And what about that border line in the El Agheila area, separating the German and Italian units, just a misprint?

See....now that'll teach you to excite an Old Man...., my wife knows better. tongue.gif

The AT guns in the Soviet fortifications are just eye candy for now as graphically speaking it just gives the fortified lines a more dynamic look across the map.

The spotting is still the same as in SC1, depends on spotting range and placement of units. Keep in mind that spotting ranges are now all editable and can be set on a per scenario/campaign basis.

The facings is just a mirroring convention, right now we just have South East and South West so when units are on top of each other it sometimes looks a bit funny. Also, that particular scenario revealed a few anomalies in my unit mirroring logic which I've since cleaned up a bit after these SS were taken.

Artillery is transportable and again you can set the strike range as you like for each scenario/campaign. Did I mention a powerful editor before? ;)

For the rest keep in mind these are still in development and items like those borders can be disabled where it makes sense for the scenario. The Overlord scenario for example has the display borders disabled.

Hope that answers a few questions... and... no comment on that exciting an old man part ;)

Hubert

Well actually, I'm not an "Old Man", a very young 54 and getting better.

Thanks for the reply Hubert, the game is looking great, I'm sure it will be a big hit throughout the gaming community, hopefully on the lines of TOAW.

Here's hoping someday you become a rich "Old Man".... on second thought "Old" is a matter of perspective, and so is "Rich", let's just say we'll all get our just reward, here's hoping its what you wish..........now be careful what you wish for! ;)

Hubert, screenshots looks absolutely great but I am a little bit worry. With map so huge how long player will play one turn? For PBEM this is not a problem but TCP/IP?

And one question for diplomacy – I saw in one screenshot diplomacy screen and only one option on it – pressure. This is only option? If it is, don’t you think that this will be a little boring – pressure, pressure and when you hit 100% country will join you? I really would like to see some standard diplomatic options like defensive alliances, military aid, resource aid etc. These options could be as separate ones or in phases relating to pressure percentage.

I like the diplomacy screenshot as it gives you a quick overview of all the countries and their leanings.

Vveedd has a good point and I too would like to see other options for diplomacy, but my guess is that consideration of any enhancements to diplomacy will have to wait until after SC2 ships.

-----------------------------------------------

What would I add to diplomacy? Most likely diplomacy related events where the player would have choice of how to respond?

Example:

At the start of a player's turn a diplomacy related event popup may appear:

IF France has surrendered and USSR Neutral then 10% for:

UK Popup: General Franco asks the UK provide assistance to resist German pressure.

Mr Prime Minister, should we;

1. Deny his request. - Span becomes 1% to 10% more pro Axis as Franco is perturbed by the UK rejection of his request.

2. Send him some something (25MPP). - No Effect

3. Send him what he wants (Cost 100MPP) - Spain gains extra Corps, Axis Leanings decline 10%.

-------------------------------------------

Example 2:

UK Popup: The Ambassador of Turkey has suggested that they consider granting our warships free passage through the Dardenelles.

1. Reject the offer. - No Effect

2. offer them something, but not too much. (25MPP) - 50% Allied Ships can move through Turkish Port.

3. Give them whatever they want. (100MPP) - 95% Allied Ships can move through Turkish Port.

[ September 28, 2005, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Originally posted by vveedd:

[QB] Hubert, screenshots looks absolutely great but I am a little bit worry. With map so huge how long player will play one turn? For PBEM this is not a problem but TCP/IP?

Actually some of those screen shots are from a variety of smaller scenarios/campaigns we will be offering. For example a North Africa campaign as well as very specific scenarios like Overlord(D-Day), Market-Garden(A Bridge Too Far), Citadel(The Battle of Kursk) etc.

This of course does not exclude the main European Theater campaigns that cover a similar scale as that offered in SC1 but with considerably more depth and strategy.

And one question for diplomacy – I saw in one screenshot diplomacy screen and only one option on it – pressure. This is only option? If it is, don’t you think that this will be a little boring – pressure, pressure and when you hit 100% country will join you? I really would like to see some standard diplomatic options like defensive alliances, military aid, resource aid etc. These options could be as separate ones or in phases relating to pressure percentage.
For now it is a simple yet effective system. Each major will have a certain number of diplomatic points as well as a varying degree of influence. In addition pressure will cost MPPs to expend, i.e. to represent certain promises like increased trade, military aid etc., and the costs will vary depending on Major/Minor status as well as current alignment. For example enemy nations will cost more to secure any diplomatic success. Also, while pressure is the primary factor diplomacy in general does include some subtle nuances that will make campaigns variable each time played.

For starters applied pressure is not guaranteed, so you really do have to weigh out your precious MPPs versus the chances of any diplomatic returns, and since you don't know what your enemy is up to (diplomacy wise) his actions may actually cancel out any of your diplomatic pressure you may have applied. Should provide for some interesting situations and not to mention frustration as you are never sure what your enemy is doing behind your back.

One other small connection with game play is that current activation levels may sometimes be tied to other events like convoys, i.e. a US Lend Lease convoy to the UK will not be triggered until the US is at 40% activation, so it might be in your best interest (as the UK player) to press for assistance earlier on in the game, but of course it is not guaranteed.

Hubert

These screenshots are sure instigating a lot of questions in me. I'm wondering what the connection is, if any, to the Diplomacy screenshot and the MPP accumulation screenshot?

For instance since Sweden and Norway contribute 100% respectively of the 18 and 15 MPPs to Germany in the Summer turns does this mean they contribute less in other seasonal turns? Does this mean they have been conquered or are 100% leaning towards Germany?

Now if these two were leaning only 55% to Germany as Romania is in the Diplomacy screenshot, does this mean they would contribute .55 X 18 and 15 repectively to Germany MPP value in the Summertime?

Now I know that pressure is applied through the use of MPPs, but what is the effect from the use of the chits, the 3 that UK has in the screenshot for example?

What is the significance of the "Diplomatic Cost = 100 MPP" in the Diplomacy screenshot? Is this the minimum cost for UK to apply pressure or to buy a chit, for Romania or for any country chosen?

Now that we have a land connection to Sweden and Norway from Finland, I assume we'll be able to make operational moves between those countries?

[ September 28, 2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]

Hubert mentioned the activation levels for convoys. These are triggers defined in the convoy scripts. So one effect of applying diplomatic pressure and achieving a result is that you could cause friendly convoys to start earlier or delay enemy convoys. Also, if you can force an activation level back below its trigger you can make the convoy stop.

Can you use diplomacy to convince a minor nation at war to pull out and return to neutrality?

Example: Romania enters the war when its war readiness is 100%, if the Allies continue to invest diplomacy in Romania until it was reduced to 50%, would it return to neutrality and automatically operate its troops back home while expelling foreign troops.

I assume not, but who knows what lurks in the mind of HC, the shadow knows. ;)

Can you use diplomacy to convince a minor nation at war to pull out and return to neutrality?

Example: Romania enters the war when its war readiness is 100%, if the Allies continue to invest diplomacy in Romania until it was reduced to 50%, would it return to neutrality and automatically operate its troops back home while expelling foreign troops.

I assume not, but who knows what lurks in the mind of HC, the shadow knows. ;)

For instance since Sweden and Norway contribute 100% respectively of the 18 and 15 MPPs to Germany in the Summer turns does this mean they contribute less in other seasonal turns?

Correct, seasonal effects can vary the amount of MPP tranfered via convoy. For example Sweden will transfer 0% during Winter.

Note, they contribute 100% during summer but this does not necessarily mean 100% of their available MPP. Rather it is 100% of whatever % they are currently set to transfer. For example Sweden only transfers 60% of their available MPP and 100% of that is transfered during the summer, 75% in the Fall and Spring and 0% in the Winter (frozen port during the winter)

Does this mean they have been conquered or are 100% leaning towards Germany?

Now if these two were leaning only 55% to Germany as Romania is in the Diplomacy screenshot, does this mean they would contribute .55 X 18 and 15 repectively to Germany MPP value in the Summertime?
No, but activation percentages are important in the sense that Sweden needs to be leaning at least 20% Axis in order for that convoy event to be satisfied. Diplomacy or various Axis action that could swing Sweden towards the Allies can lower Swedish activation and in turn negate this convoy.

Now I know that pressure is applied through the use of MPPs, but what is the effect from the use of the chits, the 3 that UK has in the screenshot for example?
That just refers to how many diplomatic chits the UK has left to spend

What is the significance of the "Diplomatic Cost = 100 MPP" in the Diplomacy screenshot? Is this the minimum cost for UK to apply pressure or to buy a chit, for Romania or for any country chosen?
Correct, there are different costs depending on minor/major status as well as whether or not it is a friendly leaning country or not

Now that we have a land connection to Sweden and Norway from Finland, I assume we'll be able to make operational moves between those countries?
Correct if you control the right territory smile.gif

Hope this helps,

Hubert

The editor seem to give the players all the freedom they want. Reminds me of an old David Hasselhoff song:

One morning in june some twenty years ago

I was born a rich man’s son

I had everything that money could buy

But freedom - I had none

I’ve been lookin’ for freedom

I’ve been lookin’ so long

Still the search goes on

Since I left my home town

Still it can’t be found

I headed down the track, my baggage on my back

I left the city far behind

Walkin’ down the road, with my heavy load

Tryin’ to find some peace of mind

Father said you’ll be sorry, son,

If you leave your home this way

And when you realize the freedom money buys

You’ll come running home some day

I paid a lotta dues, had plenty to lose

Travelling across the land

Worked on a farm, got some muscle in my arm

But still I’m not a self-made man

I’ll be on the run for many years to come

I’ll be searching door to door

But, given some time, some day I’m gonna find

The freedom I’ve been searchin’ for

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Actually some of those screen shots are from a variety of smaller scenarios/campaigns we will be offering. For example a North Africa campaign as well as very specific scenarios like Overlord(D-Day), Market-Garden(A Bridge Too Far), Citadel(The Battle of Kursk) etc.

This of course does not exclude the main European Theater campaigns that cover a similar scale as that offered in SC1 but with considerably more depth and strategy.

Huh, thanks God and thanks to you Hubert for clarification.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

One other small connection with game play is that current activation levels may sometimes be tied to other events like convoys, i.e. a US Lend Lease convoy to the UK will not be triggered until the US is at 40% activation, so it might be in your best interest (as the UK player) to press for assistance earlier on in the game, but of course it is not guaranteed.

My suggestion is that you should do the same with minor countries. Example for Romania:

-When Axis pressure hits 75 % Romania signed economic pact with Axis. Axis every turn gain xx MPP from Romania

- When Axis pressure hits 85 % Romania signed right of passage pact with Axis. Axis can enter with his units in Romania but Romanian army is not active.

- When Axis pressure hits 95 % Romania signed defensive pact with Axis. Axis can enter with his units in Romania and Romanian army is active but they can’t leave Romania.

- When Axis pressure hits 100 % Romania joined Axis. Axis can enter with his units in Romania and Romanian army is active and they can leave Romania.